Cannot access the forums without a proxy also cannot log in in fire fox

• Bug
  • Thread starter madah12
  • Start date
In summary: In some cases they are unavoidable.I'm wondering how you are posting here. Also, do you have Firefox set up to accept cookies and other forms of data from websites?
madah12
for some reason I am experiencing a problem of not being able to log in unless I use a program called hot spot shield also if I use fire fox I get
Method Not Implemented

GET to /index.php not supported.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
this started few days ago...

Physics news on Phys.org

Try to empty the cache, delete cookies and history.

Scan your computer for viruses.

Do you have problems on other sites as well?

I did empty the cache and cookies but it didn't help, and I made a virus scan but it takes 4 hours to get the results.

I don't have this problem in any other forums I go to ( but they are not that many).
if I try to log in without a proxy I get
Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

are you sure that you didn't in mistake you ip restrict people in kuwait? cause I even tried using another computer it also didn't work.

madah12 said:
are you sure that you didn't in mistake you ip restrict people in kuwait? cause I even tried using another computer it also didn't work.

Unlikely.

It's more likely that there is an ISP issue. Can you try with another ISP?

oh you mean buy internet from other company? but we have yearly subscription with one company... are you sure there isn't another way?

madah12 said:
oh you mean buy internet from other company? but we have yearly subscription with one company... are you sure there isn't another way?

No, try it with another ISP - someone else's computer who has a different internet provider.

yes I can do that but not today if it turns out that the problem is actually from my ISP is it not against the forums policy to always use a proxy to access?

madah12 said:
yes I can do that but not today if it turns out that the problem is actually from my ISP is it not against the forums policy to always use a proxy to access?

I'm not entirely sure, but I suppose it would be against policy only if you were trying to circumvent an IP ban.

but how would I know if I am ip banned or not? I mean I didn't do anything to get ip banned look at my previous posts.

madah12 said:
but how would I know if I am ip banned or not? I mean I didn't do anything to get ip banned look at my previous posts.

Have you received a message saying you are banned? Is this your only account? Have you ever tried some form of DoS attack?

If the answer is no to all of the above, chances are you aren't IP banned.

well it is no to first two and I don't know what's a Dos so i think it's also a no so I guess I will continue with the proxy.

Can you try/do you know how to ping PF from your computer? Traceroute it?

I don't know how to do that...
If it's easy can you teach me?

Borek you are a staff right? so do you have a decisive answer on whether a proxy is allowed or not?

madah12 said:
Borek you are a staff right? so do you have a decisive answer on whether a proxy is allowed or not?

Read the forum rules up top.

A quick search didn't find anything regarding proxies, so unless you are doing what I pointed out above regarding a ban then I think you're alright.

Hmm, as I was replying to this thread I can no longer access PF from my broadband connection.

Ping reports 100% packet loss, and traceroute stops at 66.228.118.186, which appears to be a server in Plano, TX.

jhae2.718 said:
Hmm, as I was replying to this thread I can no longer access PF from my broadband connection.

Ping reports 100% packet loss, and traceroute stops at 66.228.118.186, which appears to be a server in Plano, TX.

Back up...

madah12 said:
I don't know how to do that...
If it's easy can you teach me?

For ping, open a command prompt/terminal window and type:
Code:
ping physicsforums.com

For traceroute, on Unix-like systems (e.g. OS X, Linux, BSD), type:
Code:
/usr/sbin/traceroute physicsforums.com

I think
Code:
tracert physicsforums,com
works on Windows.

madah12 said:

I don't remember anything about proxies not being allowed. In some cases they are unavoidable.

I'm wondering how you are posting here. Also, do you have Firefox set up to accept cookies?

My guess is that somewhere the Physics Forums request timed out for the OP, and that if the OP runs the request through a proxy, it uses a different path that doesn't time out.

[PLAIN]http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1835/unledatm.png [Broken]

Also I checked other Internet services they also don't work i think this site just got blocked by ministry of communication in kuwait lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ive been having the same issue connecting to PF. I can connect from other providers in the area but not the one i have at my house.

somehow its fixed lol

yeah it worked for a day ... i still can't connect from home.

What could be causing me to not be able to access the forums without a proxy?

There could be a few reasons for this issue. It could be due to a problem with your internet connection, a firewall blocking the forums, or an issue with the website itself. It's also possible that your IP address has been blocked by the forum's server.

Why am I unable to log in to the forums using Firefox?

This could be due to a compatibility issue with the website and your version of Firefox. Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies and make sure you have the latest version of Firefox installed. It's also possible that there is an issue with your login credentials or with the website's login system.

How can I fix the issue of not being able to access the forums without a proxy?

If the issue is related to your internet connection, try restarting your router or contacting your internet service provider. If it's a firewall issue, try temporarily disabling it or adding an exception for the forum's website. If your IP address is blocked, you may need to contact the forum's administrator to have it unblocked.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the issue of not being able to log in to the forums?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue. First, try using a different browser to see if you are able to log in. If it works on another browser, then the issue is likely related to Firefox. You can also try using a different device or clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If none of these solutions work, it's best to contact the forum's customer support for further assistance.

How can I prevent these issues from happening in the future?

To prevent issues with accessing the forums without a proxy or logging in, make sure you have a stable internet connection, keep your browser and other software up to date, and be mindful of any potential firewalls or security settings that may block the forum's website. It's also a good idea to regularly clear your browser's cache and cookies to prevent any conflicts with the website's login system.