Canoeist Weight Distribution: How Far Can He Reach Without Getting Wet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gtaylorMD
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
gtaylorMD
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
A 56kg canoeist sits at rest at the back end of a 23kg canoe. The canoe is at rest in still water with its front end about 0.50m from the dock. He realizes that he left his paddle on the dock, so he carefully works his way to the front of the 2.3m long canoe. Is he likely to reach the dock from the front of the canoe (without getting wet)? Explain with some estimates

I am completely confused on this one, I believe he can make it without getting wet but I cannot seem to accurately prove that. Thanks for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like conservation of momentum problem. Which means the center of mass won't move since the initial momentum was zero.