Can't view email updates

• Thread starter gulfcoastfella
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a subscriber trying to view the PhysicsForums.com Newsletter, but only seeing html code. They are looking for a way to change their settings to view the newsletter in text format, but are unable to find the option to do so. Other emails with html display correctly, causing confusion about why the PF newsletter does not. The conversation also touches on issues with receiving emails from PF in general.
gulfcoastfella
Gold Member
Can't view PhysicsForums.com Newsletter...

Hi,

I received an email update from PF, but everything was in html code. The message recommended that I use my options panel at PF to select 'text' as my update format. The only problem is that I've been studying the options and control panel for a while now and can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone help?

Chris

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a way to do it either. Are you sure you need to change something here, and not on your email software so it'll read the HTML for you?

Moonbear said:
I don't see a way to do it either. Are you sure you need to change something here, and not on your email software so it'll read the HTML for you?

Hi Moonbear,

The community update I received provided a link for me to change the settings at PF; the part below came from the community update:

<!-- If you can't see this message properly, then you are unable to see
HTML formatted emails. Please
change your setting in the control panel to
receive the community bulletin in Text format.
https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions -->

In addition to the link in the community update, all of my other emails with HTML display just fine; not PF though.

Any help would be terrrrrrrific.

Thx

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...that's where I was looking too, and don't see any such options either. It would make sense to have such an option to receive plain text emails...maybe something needs to be turned on in the forum settings to allow that option to display. More interesting is that you can receive other emails with HTML...sounds like there may be a problem in the HTML code in the PF emails that it's not being "read" right to display properly.

What update do you receive anyway? Do you mean updates on your subscribed threads? We're still trying to get people to just be able to receive email at all.

Moonbear said:
What update do you receive anyway? Do you mean updates on your subscribed threads? We're still trying to get people to just be able to receive email at all.

The email update I refer to is the "PhysicsForums.com Newsletter".

C

P.S. thanks for trying to figure this out. I appreciate it, even though we're still befuddled. :tongue2:

gulfcoastfella said:
Hi Moonbear,

The community update I received provided a link for me to change the settings at PF; the part below came from the community update:

<!-- If you can't see this message properly, then you are unable to see
HTML formatted emails. Please
change your setting in the control panel to
receive the community bulletin in Text format.
https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions -->

In addition to the link in the community update, all of my other emails with HTML display just fine; not PF though.

Any help would be terrrrrrrific.

Thx

Chris
There used to be an option for that, not anymore. I can't remember the last time I got a bulletin, I thought they weren't being sent anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why am I unable to view my email updates?

There could be several reasons for this. It is possible that there is a problem with your email client or browser. It could also be due to a slow internet connection or a temporary issue with the email server. It is recommended to try accessing your email updates from a different device or network to troubleshoot the issue.

2. What should I do if I can't view my email updates on my phone?

First, make sure that your phone's operating system and email app are up to date. If the issue persists, try clearing the cache and data of your email app and restart your phone. You can also try accessing your email updates through a web browser on your phone.

3. I have tried everything, but I still can't view my email updates. What should I do?

If none of the previous solutions work, it is possible that there is a problem with the email server or your email account. Contact your email service provider for further assistance and they will be able to help you resolve the issue.

4. Can a firewall or antivirus software prevent me from viewing my email updates?

Yes, it is possible that your firewall or antivirus software may be blocking the email updates from loading. You can try temporarily disabling these programs and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you can add an exception for your email updates in the settings of your firewall or antivirus software.

5. Is it possible that my email updates are being sent to my spam folder?

Yes, emails can sometimes end up in the spam or junk folder, especially if they contain links or attachments. Make sure to check these folders and mark the emails as "not spam" if they are in fact legitimate updates. You can also add the sender's email address to your contacts to avoid this issue in the future.