Cantankerous 'highlight to quote or reply'

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, people with touchpads using Synaptics drivers have trouble with the "quote" and "reply" buttons working. Occasionally, the buttons will not work until the user reverses the direction of the drag. On Windows 10, the buttons work immediately after being highlighted.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
When i click&hihglight with intent to quote or reply
it takes multiple attempts to make the 'quote" and 'reply' buttons appear
most recently five
sometimes it just refuses until i reverse the direction of my sweep
very rarely does it work first try
is this a quirk of touchpads ? do you folks with legitimate mice have same frustration ?

Is there some setting i need to tweak ? 3 finger drag is set 'off'
Asusz computer with Synaptics touchpad & driver.
Microshaft driver is completely unusable because it can't turn off tapping, so please don't suggest that..

Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
do you folks with legitimate mice have same frustration ?
Nope

Likes davenn
jim hardy said:
I just tested with my Asus laptop touchpad using Synaptics driver and it was just like using a mouse. What browser are you using?

jim hardy said:
I don't... Firefox 53.0 and ASUS desktop.

jim hardy said:
Nope, I don't either.

jim hardy said:
most recently five
There have been a few times in the past where I was not able to select some text to quote. If I refreshed the page in the browser, things worked as expected.

Likes davenn
jim hardy said:
most recently five
very rarely does it work first try
is this a quirk of touchpads ? do you folks with legitimate mice have same frustration ?

Is there some setting i need to tweak ? 3 finger drag is set 'off'
Microshaft driver is completely unusable because it can't turn off tapping, so please don't suggest that..

I have had the same problem. Sometimes the "quote" system works fine, but sometimes there is a considerable delay. I have a Windows 10 machine and I'm using a mouse. I have very slow WiFi service right now. Sometimes PF seem very slow to the point of getting stuck, in which case I close the browser, then reopen and find that I'm logged off. But as I said, I can't really blame PF at this stage because my WiFi is horrible. I have problems sometimes with delayed response in other sites. "Refreshing" does not work for me in such cases. It may be somewhat browser dependent. I'm still looking into it.

jim hardy said:
Yup.

I've tested the highlight quote on Win10 using the latest version of Chrome, FF, IE and Opera without problems. Those who have problem please state your browser, version and OS. Thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
browser, version and OS.
IE; Win 10.

jim hardy said:
This happens to me on my desktop moderately often. Most recently a few minutes ago. Reversing the direction of the click-drag does seem to usually fix the problem, but I don't remember if it always makes it work for me.

I usually use Firefox and am on Windows Vista currently.

A couple of times I thought it might be related to where the sentence(s) was in the post, like first sentence of the post, or first sentence of a paragraph, but I haven't been able to correlate it to anything yet. Knowing now that it happens to others sometimes, I will play with it more the next time it happens to me.

berkeman said:
Windows Vista
Vista was garbage, upgrade asap! :biggrin:

Likes davenn, jim mcnamara, phinds and 1 other person
I don't know why, but my Quote │Reply buttons show immediately after I highlight text and let up on the left mouse button... maybe its Windows 10. ? lol
berkeman said:
Reversing the direction of the click-drag does seem to usually fix the problem...
I doesn't seem to matter what direction I use, or where I start... I can even grab one letter... ?
berkeman said:
R
If people are having trouble, here's something they might try, though... and make sure to keep the shift key held down.

Reply button 1.jpg

Damn... Paint, sucks ! [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :mad:

LOL. Thanks @OCR I'll try that variation if/when it happens again.

You bet... :check:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I just tested with my Asus laptop touchpad using Synaptics driver and it was just like using a mouse. What browser are you using?
Firefox 52.0.1

edit win 10 until i get courage to install this win7 disc i was lucky enough to acquire.

edit Hmm Never thought about Shift key , will tinker with it

intermittent. Comes and goes, perhaps related to traffic density? Doing well here in the wee hours . Just worked fine twenty times in a row, sometimes it's the other way 'round..

But here's one.

CantankerousQuote.jpg
Very next try
CantankerousQuote2.jpg
Aha - Zombie fingers ?
It doesn't turn gray to let you know it's deselected until something else happens like click "Snip" button.
CantankerousQuote3.jpg

EDIT even that's inconsistent.

"If Ever the Devil's Plan
Was Made to Torment Man
Jezebel, it was you". Frankie Lane

I think you got it...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :thumbup:

Pointer.JPG

I put the pointer over by your avatar and sure enough... no buttons showed after I highlighted the text.

I tried it on one of my posts, too... same deal, no buttons.

Pointer 1.JPG

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
Comes and goes, perhaps related to traffic density?
It's JavaScript, so it's processed locally on your computer only.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's JavaScript, so it's processed locally on your computer only.

It has that horrid virus known as Windows Ten .

Last edited:
Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Greg Bernhardt said:
Vista was garbage, upgrade asap! :biggrin:
I still use a laptop/notebook computer with Windows Vista. I find very little trouble with it; only minor browser signin difficulties but nothing more.

As far as post quoting, I have learned to do a couple of things:
  • Use of the Multiquote feature and delete some portions when I desire to
  • Sometimes just use Copy & Paste and put in the quote tags manually and other labeling.
The machine with Vista, I use Firefox version 52 or the most current version. The Windows 10 machine I use Google Chrome, fully upto date whatever it is.

1. What does "cantankerous" mean?

"Cantankerous" is an adjective that describes someone or something as being ill-tempered, argumentative, and difficult to deal with.

2. What is the origin of the word "cantankerous"?

The word "cantankerous" is believed to have originated from the English dialect term "cankerous," which means "ill-natured" or "crabby." It was first recorded in the early 19th century and may also have roots in the Middle English term "contak," meaning "contention" or "quarrel."

3. How is "cantankerous" used in a sentence?

"Cantankerous" is often used to describe someone who is grumpy, irritable, or difficult to get along with. For example, "My grandfather can be quite cantankerous when he's in a bad mood."

4. Is being "cantankerous" always a negative trait?

Not necessarily. While "cantankerous" is typically used to describe someone with a difficult personality, it can also be used in a more lighthearted or endearing way. For instance, someone might say, "My cantankerous old cat always greets me with a hiss, but I know she loves me."

5. How does being "cantankerous" differ from being "cranky" or "irritable"?

While all three words describe someone who is easily annoyed or prone to grumpiness, "cantankerous" tends to imply a more stubborn or argumentative nature. "Cranky" is often used to describe temporary irritability, while "irritable" can be a more general term for someone who is easily agitated.