Car displacement after driving west and southwest

  • Thread starter Thread starter thschica
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnitude Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
thschica
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
6. A car is driven 140 km west and then 30 km southwest. What is the displacement of the car from the point of origin (magnitude and direction)?
? km ( I know that this one is 162.5)
?° south of west ( I have no idea how to find this answer)
:bugeye:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture, then connect the starting point with the end point. You then should be able to find the resultant angle by computing and adding the components of each leg of the path.
 
If the angle is theta, then tan theta is the component of the displacement vector in south/in west. I think you must have found the components in this direction.