Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardio Jump - the ropeless jump rope

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.buythecardiojump.com/Default.asp?tcode=pi8&tag=google&gclid=CI-o0orY5ZkCFQkzawodGFudQg&bhcp=1 [Broken]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I don't know what can be said. Maybe its a Zen thing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2009 #2
    hahaha that made my day

it's even "compact for travel"

4. Apr 24, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I can't stop laughing. I think I need to watch that video again...it's not often you get to watch buff men make total fools of themselves quite like that. :rofl: It's perfect for the totally uncoordinated people who would otherwise trip over a rope, though. :rofl:

5. Apr 24, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

is this a joke? April fools was earlier this month.

I noticed in a few of the shots with the cordless idiot thing, the guy wasnt actually jumping, just going up on his tiptoes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  6. Apr 26, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I noticed that too. See, it's definitely better he had the cordless jumprope rather than a real one or else he'd have tripped over it. :biggrin:

7. Apr 27, 2009 #6
    wow does that look ridiculous, I feel embarrassed just watching the video

8. Apr 28, 2009 #7
    All hail humanity! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Apr 28, 2009 #8
    Yeah. But it's a gizmo and has buttons. B-U-T-T-O-N-S.

And a shiny display. S-H-I-N-Y.

10. Apr 28, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if it takes into account your weight and the height of the jumps. I guess in principle it could use accelerometers to give an accurate accounting of the work done.

...eh, on second thought, [duh! :redface:] the hands are not necessarily an indicator of the body motion. So there is no way it could be reliably accurate.

11. May 2, 2009 #10
    That had me laughing to tears.

12. Jul 23, 2009 #11
    Forget the gadget and just do the jumps.

As ridiculous as the product is, the exercise is a good way for people not accustomed to strenuous activity to get good conditioning. After a spectacular shipwide failire on a yearly PT test the captain initiated a bi-weekly exercise program. Part of it included a walking pace jog. Just getting the feet up in the air greatly increases the amount of effort of keeping the pace, and it's something most people can do without being discouraged. The product isn't necessary, but those who do buy it and follow the program will benefit. Fools perhaps, but if buying the product encourages them to exercise then I wouldn't argue that the money wasn't well spent.

It is funny though:smile:

13. Jul 23, 2009 #12
    I guess anything that gets people to exercise is a good thing, it's amazing how sedentary a lot of people in our society are.

14. Jul 23, 2009 #13

:rofl:

Beyond that, it's truly difficult to know what to say.

15. Jul 23, 2009 #14
    You thought that all the way through, right? :wink:

What a fantastic find this thing is, though.

16. Jul 24, 2009 #15
    I guess the jumprope industry is trying to match the phone industry by going wireless!
    This product looks pretty lame. And "compact for travel?" As if jumpropes were
    big to begin with.

17. Jul 25, 2009 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny! I saw the commercial again and happened to notice this: Watch the blonde girl pretty early in the commercial, in the side-by-side shot. In one screen she is using an actual rope, and in the other she is using the Cardio Jump. She jumps about three times as high when using the jump rope!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  18. Aug 8, 2009 #17
    When will they release the version for double-dutch? :tongue:

19. Aug 9, 2009 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I was thinking this might be useful for the uncoordinated spazzes who would trip over a jump rope, but then noticed the flying balls on the ends of the sticks...those could be even more dangerous in the hands of an uncoordinated spaz!

20. Aug 9, 2009 #19
    Oooo flying balls.

I showed the ad to three women at work. The two younger ones rolled their eyes and declared it one of the stupidest things they'd ever seen. The other woman said, "Well, it would be handy to have." At which point I looked at her sideways. "Well it would be," she insisted. I started to laugh. I got up from my chair, lifted my hands to my sides, twirled them and jumped in time to the twirls. "Better than this?" I asked. "Well, you know what I mean," she said. I told her I didn't know what she meant. She asked me if I was laughing at her. I told her I was. Then she laughed with me. Good thing we're friends.

21. Sep 5, 2009 #20
    HAHAHA, when the video shows the girl jumping next to herself the rope would be hitting her leg. She is off timing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook