1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bungee jumping with elastic cord and rigid rope

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    Happy new year everyone, if I were to bungee jump off a building height H using a cord with an elasticity of 150 N/m 15 m long when it isn't stretched that is tied to a rope of length L (does not stretch), and I have a mass of M and the cord stretches X meters. Gravity is pulling at 10 m/s^2. I want to go as close to the ground as possible when I step off the building. What should the length of rope be?

I know that at the bottom, mgh=1/2kx^2. I also know that the cord + rope is slightly less than the height of the building (L + X = H). The force on the cord must also decrease as the length of rope gets smaller because there is less time for gravity to accelerate me. I also tried Velocity = 2aΔy.

Once again,
    mass = M
    building height = H
    Cord length = 15m
    Cord elasticity = K = 150N/m
    Rope length = L
    Gravity = 10 m/s^2

We need to know the rope length L. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Any and all help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure what problem you are having. You get x from your equation 2mgh = kx2 and from that deduce L. One thing, you missed out the unstretched length of the cord in L+X=H.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook