Career prospects in marine engineering: is the industry really unemployable?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
GiriBang
Messages
11
Reaction score
5
Right, I'm ambitious about joining the Indian Navy via Graduate entry scheme or at least some private companies like Maersk. But recently a relative who took Diploma in Marine Engineering said that the industry is flooded and it's currently unemployable. He said 4th Engineers are being fired left and right due to the current low sulfur fuel.

So, is the industry unemployable even if graduated from a top university?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Flooded, hah!

You are asking us to predict the future. Furthermore, you're asking a bunch of physicists to predict the future in another field.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Shipping is not an industry I could imagine an overall demand uncertainty for. Low sulphur fuel does not mean we are shipping fewer products, but it may change the type of expertise needed as applied to the narrow jobs associated with it.

Broader, I personally consider shipping to be a big global warming problem area, by which I mean I expect it to change very little in the foreseeable future because there is little alternative.