Cartesian product of index family of sets

In summary, the Cartesian product of an indexed family of sets is a function that maps each index to an element in the respective set, with no implied order unless the index set itself has an order. The 'usual' Cartesian product does have an implied order, with the first element coming from the first set, the second from the second set, and so on. However, for the first definition, the order of the indices does not affect the definition of the Cartesian product.
chipotleaway
Cartesian product of indexed family of sets

The definition of a Cartesian product of an indexed family of sets [itex](X_i)_{i\in I}[/itex] is [itex]\Pi_{i\in I}X_i=\left\{f:I \rightarrow \bigcup_{i \in I} \right\}[/itex]

So if I understand correctly, it's a function that maps every index [itex]i[/itex] to an element [itex]f(i)[/itex] such that [itex]f(i) \in X_i[/itex]…my question is, is there supposed to be a notion of 'order' implied in the definition here?

The 'usual' Cartesian product is [itex]\Pi^n_{i=1}X_i=\left\{ (x_i)^n_{i=1}: x_i \in X_i \right\}[/itex] and here, there seems to be some notion of 'order' cause the first element is in [itex]X_1[/itex], second in [itex]X_2[/itex] etc.

But for the first, if the index set is I={1,2,3}, then couldn't we have have [itex]X_1 \times X_2 \times X_3[/itex] or [itex]X_2\times X_1\times X_3[/itex] (any reordering of indices in the index set)? Then the definition of the Cartesian product could be [itex]((f(1), f(2), f(3))[/itex] or [itex](f(2), f(1), f(3))[/itex]...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi chipotleaway! :smile:
chipotleaway said:
… is there supposed to be a notion of 'order' implied in the definition here?

yes and no

there's only an order if the index set, I, has an order :wink:

hmm...so the case if I={1,2,3,4}, it would only reduce to the 'usual definition', n running from 1 to 4 to we somehow define the order to be 1,2,3,4

yes, eg spacetime coordinates are sometimes written (x0, x1, x2, x3), and sometimes (x1, x2, x3, x4)

ie sometimes with t (or ct) at the beginning and sometimes with t at the end :wink:

Likes 1 person
am I on the right track here?

Yes, you are correct. The Cartesian product of an indexed family of sets does not have a specific order implied in its definition. The order in which the elements of the product are written is arbitrary and can vary depending on the chosen index set. For example, if the index set is {1, 2, 3}, then the Cartesian product could be written as X_1 \times X_2 \times X_3 or X_2 \times X_1 \times X_3, as you mentioned. Both representations are valid and equivalent.

The key difference between the usual Cartesian product and the Cartesian product of an indexed family of sets is that the latter allows for a more general structure, where the index set can be infinite and the sets in the family can vary in size and type. This allows for a more flexible and versatile way of representing mathematical objects and relationships.

In summary, the Cartesian product of an indexed family of sets is a mathematical concept that does not have a specific order implied, and the order of the elements can vary depending on the chosen index set. Its purpose is to provide a general and flexible way of representing mathematical objects and relationships.

1. What is the Cartesian product of an index family of sets?

The Cartesian product of an index family of sets is a mathematical operation that combines the elements of each set in the family to create a new set. It is denoted by the symbol × and is also known as the cross product.

2. How is the Cartesian product of an index family of sets calculated?

The Cartesian product of an index family of sets is calculated by taking one element from each set in the family and combining them to create an ordered pair. This is done for every possible combination of elements, resulting in a new set that contains all the ordered pairs.

3. What is the difference between the Cartesian product and the union of an index family of sets?

The Cartesian product and the union of an index family of sets are two different mathematical operations. The Cartesian product combines elements from each set to create a new set, while the union combines all the elements from each set to create a single set.

4. How does the number of sets in an index family affect the size of the Cartesian product?

The size of the Cartesian product is determined by the number of sets in the index family. The more sets there are, the larger the Cartesian product will be. For example, if there are three sets in the index family with 3, 4, and 5 elements respectively, the Cartesian product will have 3 × 4 × 5 = 60 elements.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Cartesian product of an index family of sets?

The Cartesian product of an index family of sets is commonly used in various fields of mathematics, such as set theory, combinatorics, and algebra. It is also used in computer science and data analysis for tasks such as data mining, database queries, and data visualization.