Casimir effect with Gaussian regulator

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the Casimir force in 1D using a Gaussian regulator. The person asking for help has reached a point where they need to evaluate a sum of the form $$\sum_n n e^{-\epsilon^2n^2}$$ and is seeking assistance as they were not able to find helpful information online. Suggestions are made to try using Abel's summation formula or checking a problem book on regularization.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Calculate the Casimir force in 1D using a Gaussian regulator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I reached a point where I need to evaluate a sum of the form $$\sum_n n e^{-\epsilon^2n^2}$$ Can someone help me? I didn't really find anything useful online. I thought of turning this into a gaussian integral, and I would get something of the form ##\frac{1}{\epsilon}\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}##, but I don't get the answer I need using this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check it in Voja's problem book under regularization.

I didn't find it there...

1. What is the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect is a phenomenon in quantum field theory that describes the attractive or repulsive force between two uncharged and parallel plates in a vacuum. This force is due to the fluctuations of virtual particles in the vacuum, which create a pressure difference between the plates.

2. What is a Gaussian regulator?

A Gaussian regulator is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics to regulate and renormalize infinite quantities that arise in calculations. It is a smoothing function that suppresses high energy contributions and allows for more accurate calculations.

3. How does the Gaussian regulator affect the Casimir effect?

The use of a Gaussian regulator in the calculation of the Casimir effect helps to eliminate the divergences that arise when using a point-like regulator. It provides a more physically meaningful result by accounting for the finite size of the plates and their interaction with the surrounding vacuum.

4. What are the implications of using a Gaussian regulator in the study of the Casimir effect?

The use of a Gaussian regulator allows for a more accurate and physically meaningful understanding of the Casimir effect. It also helps to bridge the gap between theoretical calculations and experimental observations, leading to a better understanding of the underlying physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Gaussian regulator in the study of the Casimir effect?

While the Gaussian regulator is a useful tool in regulating and renormalizing calculations, it is not a perfect solution. It still relies on certain assumptions and approximations, and its use may not be applicable in all cases. Further research and development in this area is ongoing to improve the accuracy and applicability of the Gaussian regulator.