Catapult final (impact) velocity

In summary, the student is working on a catapult project and needs to calculate the initial velocity of the release, the time of the highest point, and the velocity of impact of the object. They are unsure of how to find the vertical initial velocity, but plan to use Pythagoras' theorem to solve for it. They have also been advised to use kinematic equations to solve for v_0 by dividing the total time in the air by 2.
Havenater23

Homework Statement

I'm doing a catapult project and I have to calculate a few pieces of information.
The initial velocity of the release (horizontal and vertical components) , the time of the highest point, and velocity of impact of the object.

I know how to do all of these except find the velocity impact of the object. This is all on a horizontal plane, and I know the X initial horizontal velocity will stay the same, but how do I figure out the y initial vertical velocity?

I know that if I find those two components at the end, I can use Pythagoras to solve it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks, in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the total time a projectile is in the air, you can figure out how long it took to get to the top of it's trajectory (it's highest point) by just dividing by 2. [The projectile will take the same amount of time going up as down]. Then just solve for v_0 by using kinematic equations.

What is the final velocity of a catapult?

The final velocity of a catapult depends on several factors, including the design of the catapult, the weight of the projectile, and the tension of the catapult's arm. It can range from approximately 10-120 miles per hour.

How is the final velocity of a catapult calculated?

The final velocity of a catapult is typically calculated using the equation v=√(2gh), where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the catapult's arm at release.

What are the key components that affect the final velocity of a catapult?

The key components that affect the final velocity of a catapult include the tension of the catapult's arm, the weight and shape of the projectile, and the angle at which the projectile is launched.

What is the relationship between the final velocity and the weight of the projectile in a catapult?

The final velocity of a catapult is directly proportional to the weight of the projectile. This means that a heavier projectile will have a higher final velocity than a lighter one, assuming all other factors remain constant.

Can the final velocity of a catapult be increased?

Yes, the final velocity of a catapult can be increased by adjusting the tension of the catapult's arm, using a heavier projectile, or changing the angle at which the projectile is launched. However, there are physical limitations to how fast a catapult can launch a projectile due to factors such as air resistance and the strength of the catapult's materials.