Category Theory - Initial and Final Objects

In summary, Peter is reading Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0 and is currently focused on Chapter I, Section 5, specifically Example 5.3 and Exercise 5.2. He is seeking help with understanding why $\emptyset$ is initial in Set and how to construct a rigorous and formal proof for Exercise 5.2. Peter has received previous explanations on this topic, but is seeking clarification. In response, Euge explains that a function between two sets is a subset of their cartesian product and that $\emptyset$ is the unique initial object in Set. Peter thanks Euge and Fallen Angel for their helpful explanations.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0.

I am currently focused on Chapter I, Section 5: Universal Properties.

I need some help Example 5.3 and Exercise 5.2 in this section.
QUESTION 1Example 5.3 reads as follows:View attachment 4484

Can someone clearly explain why \(\displaystyle \emptyset\) is initial ...

We need every set \(\displaystyle A\) in the category Set to have exactly one morphism (set function):

\(\displaystyle \emptyset \rightarrow A\)

and Aluffi seems to be saying that the 'empty graph' ( an "empty or nothing function" ? ) is the unique function from \(\displaystyle \emptyset\) to \(\displaystyle A\) ... is that right ...?

It seems a highly contrived function (morphism) ... indeed, what is the empty graph exactly ... and how do we rigorously justify the assertion that it is actually a function ...

Can someone please explain clearly just what Aluffi is saying here ... ?
QUESTION 2

Exercise 5.2 in Chapter I, Section 5 reads as follows:View attachment 4485Can someone show me how to construct a rigorous and formal proof for this exercise ... ?Help will be much appreciated ...

PeterPeter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

It could be useful to remember that a function between two given sets $A, B$ is a subset of $A \times B$ (with some other properties, of course)

Peter,

I've given this explanation to you before (that $\emptyset$ is initial in Set), but it's been a while and it doesn't hurt to reiterate. ;) Let $A$ be a set. A morphism $\emptyset \to A$ is a relation from $\emptyset$ to $A$, i.e., a subset $R$ of $\emptyset \times A$ such that for every $x \in \emptyset$, there is a unique $a \in A$ such that $(x,a) \in R$. Now since $\emptyset \times A = \emptyset$, $R = \emptyset$. So there is only one morphism $\emptyset \to A$.

Now let $X$ be a set such that for every set $A$, there is exactly one morphism $X \to A$. Then in particular, there is only one moprhism $X \to \emptyset$. Every element of $X$ maps to only one element of $\emptyset$; this cannot happen unless $X = \emptyset$. There, $\emptyset$ is the unique initial object in Set.

Euge said:
Peter,

I've given this explanation to you before (that $\emptyset$ is initial in Set), but it's been a while and it doesn't hurt to reiterate. ;) Let $A$ be a set. A morphism $\emptyset \to A$ is a relation from $\emptyset$ to $A$, i.e., a subset $R$ of $\emptyset \times A$ such that for every $x \in \emptyset$, there is a unique $a \in A$ such that $(x,a) \in R$. Now since $\emptyset \times A = \emptyset$, $R = \emptyset$. So there is only one morphism $\emptyset \to A$.

Now let $X$ be a set such that for every set $A$, there is exactly one morphism $X \to A$. Then in particular, there is only one moprhism $X \to \emptyset$. Every element of $X$ maps to only one element of $\emptyset$; this cannot happen unless $X = \emptyset$. There, $\emptyset$ is the unique initial object in Set.
Thanks for for that post, Euge ... It is most helpful and clear ...

My apologies for forgetting the advice and help that you gave some time earlier ...

Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

It could be useful to remember that a function between two given sets $A, B$ is a subset of $A \times B$ (with some other properties, of course)

indeed ... a helpful point that is essentially the clue to the situation ... Thanks Fallen Angel ..

Peter

1. What is an initial object in Category Theory?

An initial object in category theory is an object that is unique up to isomorphism and has exactly one arrow going to any other object in the category. It is often denoted as 0 or ∅ and can be thought of as the starting point or foundation of a category.

2. How is an initial object different from a terminal object?

An initial object is the starting point of a category, while a terminal object is the ending point. A terminal object has exactly one arrow coming from any other object in the category, while an initial object has exactly one arrow going to any other object. In other words, a terminal object is the dual of an initial object.

3. What is a final object in Category Theory?

A final object in category theory is an object that is unique up to isomorphism and has exactly one arrow coming from any other object in the category. It is often denoted as 1 or ∗ and can be thought of as the end point or goal of a category.

4. How are initial and final objects related to each other?

Initial and final objects are dual to each other, meaning they have opposite properties. While an initial object has exactly one arrow going to any other object, a final object has exactly one arrow coming from any other object. This duality is an important concept in category theory and helps to define many other important concepts and constructions.

5. Can a category have more than one initial or final object?

No, a category can only have one initial and one final object, up to isomorphism. This is because having more than one initial or final object would violate the uniqueness property of these objects. However, a category may not have an initial or final object at all, in which case it is referred to as an empty or trivial category.