Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cave of the Winds, CO - photons

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1
    I was in a cave and they turned all lights off. First time I experienced total darkness. When they turned lights out, where do the photons go?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Generally, they will be absorbed as heat.

4. Aug 4, 2009 #3
    OK so the photons are absorbed into the mass of the cave. The photons are flying around, the ones that have a wavelength in the visible range, I can see. So the phtons that bounce off the rocks are the ones i see?

What determines which one get absorbed, and which ones get reflected? Well I guess utimately they all get absorbed? Some just get reflected a few times before getting absorbed?

As the photon approaches the matter- it hits either an electron, an up quark, or down quark. Will you explain what happens next? what do you mean by "absorbed"?

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    Yes!
    A simple answer would be that the ones get absorbed or reflected depends on the color of the material. A more precise answer would be that it depends on the absorption spectrum of the material, which is a detailed list of the probability of absorption for each wavelength.
    The photon dissapears and its energy makes an electron to jump to a higher energy orbital. This energy is eventually all converted into kinetic energy of the atoms on the wall (thermal energy).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook