Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cave of the Winds, CO - photons

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1
    I was in a cave and they turned all lights off. First time I experienced total darkness. When they turned lights out, where do the photons go?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Generally, they will be absorbed as heat.

4. Aug 4, 2009 #3
    OK so the photons are absorbed into the mass of the cave. The photons are flying around, the ones that have a wavelength in the visible range, I can see. So the phtons that bounce off the rocks are the ones i see?

What determines which one get absorbed, and which ones get reflected? Well I guess utimately they all get absorbed? Some just get reflected a few times before getting absorbed?

As the photon approaches the matter- it hits either an electron, an up quark, or down quark. Will you explain what happens next? what do you mean by "absorbed"?

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    Yes!
    A simple answer would be that the ones get absorbed or reflected depends on the color of the material. A more precise answer would be that it depends on the absorption spectrum of the material, which is a detailed list of the probability of absorption for each wavelength.
    The photon dissapears and its energy makes an electron to jump to a higher energy orbital. This energy is eventually all converted into kinetic energy of the atoms on the wall (thermal energy).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook