Cave of the Winds, CO - photons

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter neg entropy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
neg entropy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I was in a cave and they turned all lights off. First time I experienced total darkness. When they turned lights out, where do the photons go?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
neg entropy said:
I was in a cave and they turned all lights off. First time I experienced total darkness. When they turned lights out, where do the photons go?

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Generally, they will be absorbed as heat.
 
OK so the photons are absorbed into the mass of the cave. The photons are flying around, the ones that have a wavelength in the visible range, I can see. So the phtons that bounce off the rocks are the ones i see?

What determines which one get absorbed, and which ones get reflected? Well I guess utimately they all get absorbed? Some just get reflected a few times before getting absorbed?

As the photon approaches the matter- it hits either an electron, an up quark, or down quark. Will you explain what happens next? what do you mean by "absorbed"?
 
neg entropy said:
OK so the photons are absorbed into the mass of the cave. The photons are flying around, the ones that have a wavelength in the visible range, I can see. So the phtons that bounce off the rocks are the ones i see? "
Yes!
neg entropy said:
What determines which one get absorbed, and which ones get reflected? Well I guess utimately they all get absorbed? Some just get reflected a few times before getting absorbed? "
A simple answer would be that the ones get absorbed or reflected depends on the color of the material. A more precise answer would be that it depends on the absorption spectrum of the material, which is a detailed list of the probability of absorption for each wavelength.
neg entropy said:
As the photon approaches the matter- it hits either an electron, an up quark, or down quark. Will you explain what happens next? what do you mean by "absorbed"?
The photon dissapears and its energy makes an electron to jump to a higher energy orbital. This energy is eventually all converted into kinetic energy of the atoms on the wall (thermal energy).