Center of a linear algebraic group

In summary: Summary:: linear algebraic group; dimension of center; upper and lower boundsIn summary, the conversation discusses the dimension of the center of a linear algebraic group ##G##, denoted as ##c(G).## It is known that ##c(0)=0, c(1)=1## and ##n^2\geq c(m)\geq 1## for ##m\neq 0,## and ##c(n^2)=1## by Schur's Lemma. The conversation then asks about the behavior of ##c(G)## for arbitrary ##m-##dimensional subgroups of ##\operatorname{GL}(n).## Specifically, it questions whether there are significant upper and lower bounds
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
linear algebra; center; groups
Let ##G\leq GL(n)## be a linear algebraic group of dimension ##m,## and ##C## its ##c##-dimensional center. What do we know about lower and upper bounds of ##c=c(m)\,\text{?}##

Clearly ##c(0)=0, c(1)=1## and ##n^2\geq c(m)\geq 1## for ##m\neq 0.## By Schur's Lemma we also know ##c(n^2)=1##. Did anybody ever investigated what happens in between?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are plenty of groups with trivial or finite centre, hence zero dimensional. So ##c(m)## can be zero for nonzero ##m##.

martinbn said:
There are plenty of groups with trivial or finite centre, hence zero dimensional. So ##c(m)## can be zero for nonzero ##m##.
The identity is always in the center.

fresh_42 said:
The identity is always in the center.
Of course, but it is a single point and has dimension 0.

martinbn said:
Of course, but it is a single point and has dimension 0.
Sure, for some simple S-groups, of which we know the centers. That is if ##\mathbb{F}\cdot 1 \cap G <\infty ,## which are very specific cases. My question was more generic when we have ##\mathbb{F}\cdot 1 \subseteq G.## A few cases of finite centers doesn't answer the question: Are there significant upper and lower bounds for ##c(m)## except ##n^2## and ##1\,\text{?}## Or ##0##, I don't care. E.g. what is the maximum of ##c(m)\,\text{?}## ##n\,\text{?}## or ##n^\eta,## and what is the maximal value of the exponent?

If the dimension is ##n^2## then it must contain some small open ball around the identity, which is impossible since ##GL(n)## isn't commutative. So ##n^2-1## is an upper bound I guess? (I'm also pretty sure you can't have an ##n^2## dimensional linear algebraic group except for ##GL(n)##, but I'm open to the possibility of a strange counterexample)

fresh_42 said:
Summary:: linear algebra; center; groups

Let ##G\leq GL(n)## be a linear algebraic group of dimension ##m,## and ##C## its ##c##-dimensional center. What do we know about lower and upper bounds of ##c=c(m)\,\text{?}##

Clearly ##c(0)=0, c(1)=1## and ##n^2\geq c(m)\geq 1## for ##m\neq 0.## By Schur's Lemma we also know ##c(n^2)=1##. Did anybody ever investigated what happens in between?
I'm not sure I full understand your question, but for a concrete example the center of ##O(n)## is ##\{I_n,-I_n\}## and ##O(n)## has dimension ##\frac{n^2-n}{n}##.

fresh_42 said:
Summary:: linear algebra; center; groups

BTW, what are the tools to even investigate such a question?

Sure, I know the standard (simple) groups here. But how does ##d:=d(n,m):=\dim C(G)## behave generically? Yes, ##0## is a lower bound, and ##n^2## maybe ##n^2-1## an upper bound, but neither are interesting cases. The question is: Can we say something more significant about ##d## given an arbitrary ##m-##dimensional subgroup of ##\operatorname{GL}(n)## then ##n^2>d\geq 0.## Diagonal matrices form an abelian group, so there are groups with ##d=m.## If we write ##d(n,m)=O(m^\eta),## what can we say about ##\eta##? Is it bounded with ##m## from above, or is ##\eta >1?##. What is the biggest abelian subgroup of ##\operatorname{GL}(n)?## ##\eta=1## is a good guess, but is there a proof? How big are typical centers, i.e. of a randomly chosen subgroup?

Aren't the maximal abelian subgroups conjugate to the diagonal subgroup?

Likes fresh_42

What is the definition of a center of a linear algebraic group?

The center of a linear algebraic group is the subgroup of elements that commute with all other elements of the group. In other words, it is the set of elements that do not change when multiplied by any other element of the group.

Why is the center of a linear algebraic group important?

The center of a linear algebraic group is important because it provides information about the structure and symmetries of the group. It also plays a crucial role in the study of representations of the group and in determining its subgroups.

How is the center of a linear algebraic group related to the Lie algebra of the group?

The center of a linear algebraic group is closely related to the Lie algebra of the group. In fact, the Lie algebra of the center is a subalgebra of the Lie algebra of the group. This means that the center preserves the Lie bracket operation and can be used to study the Lie algebra of the group.

Can the center of a linear algebraic group be trivial?

Yes, the center of a linear algebraic group can be trivial, meaning it only contains the identity element. This is the case for groups such as the special linear group or the symplectic group. However, for other groups, the center can be non-trivial and contain a variety of elements.

How can the center of a linear algebraic group be calculated?

Calculating the center of a linear algebraic group can be a complex task and often requires advanced techniques from algebraic geometry. In general, it involves finding the fixed points of the group action on the affine variety defined by the group's equations. Alternatively, the center can also be determined by analyzing the group's representation theory.