Centripetal force on lettuce in a spinning salad spinner

  • Thread starter Thread starter benji
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
benji
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
This is talking about one of those kitchen gadgets where you put the lettuce in the container and spin it so all of the water gets spun off.

The radius of the container is 12cm (0.012m). When the culinder is rotating at 2.0 revolutions per second, what is the magnitude of the centripetal force at the outer wall?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume they want the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration. So, what's the formula for centripetal acceleration? (Check the book!)
 
All I've done so far is looked at equations and wrote down what I know:

Equations:
Fc=m(Ac)
Ac=(v^2)/r

What I know:
r=0.012m
rps=2.0
Fc=?
 
Well you have rev/sec. How much distance will an object go in one rev? When you figure that out, you can find the "tangential" speed in m/s, and then your formula might make more sense.
 
hey, 12cm is 0.12m.

acc= (v*v0) / r

cirumfrance = pi * 2 * 0.12 = 0.24pi

so v = (0.24pi * 2)/1 = 0.48pi

acc = 0.48pi / 0.12 = 4pi m/s*s

i think!
 
benji said:
All I've done so far is looked at equations and wrote down what I know:

Equations:
Fc=m(Ac)
Ac=(v^2)/r
That's the equation you want. To use it you have to figure out the speed.

What I know:
r=0.012m
Careful. 12 cm = 0.12 m, not 0.012 m.
rps=2.0
Fc=?
Now figure out the speed using v = distance/time. It goes 2 revolutions per second. Each revolution is the circumference of a circle: [itex]c = 2 \pi r[/itex]. Figure out the speed in m/s.

Forget the centripetal force (since you are not given a mass); you want to find the centripetal acceleration.