Centripital F. : Solve for Velocity given ax and r

  • Thread starter Thread starter subzero800
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
subzero800
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the speed of an orbiter in a circular orbit that is just above the surface of a planet, given that the orbiter's acceleration is equal to the planet's gravitational acceleration of 1.88 m/s2. The radius of the planet is 1.33 x106 m.


Homework Equations


a=v2/r


The Attempt at a Solution



I have done : √(1,330,000 m * 1.8 m/s2)

with a result of 1547.255 m/s. I'm not sure what part I'm not comprehending -- thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
subzero800 said:
I have done : √(1,330,000 m * 1.8 m/s2)

with a result of 1547.255 m/s. I'm not sure what part I'm not comprehending -- thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this!
Except for rounding off 1.88 m/s^2 to 1.8 for some reason, your work looks fine. Redo that calculation.