CERN particle announcement related to dark matter / energy?

In summary, CERN has announced that they have found evidence of a new particle with unknown properties. This may mean that the particle is more related to dark matter / energy than to 'normal matter' as we currently refer to it.
Lino
Hi, I was at a presentation re there recent anouncement by CERN, and the distinction between matter / dark matter / dark eneregy (matter versus the 96% of the universe that we don't know about) was repeatedly made. Given the findings relate to a particle with mass / properties not previously known, does this (likely) mean that the particle is more related to dark matter / energy than to 'normal matter' as we currently refer to it?

I appreciate that this is still under investigation but any thoughts / insights would be appreciated.

Regards,

Noel.

Space news on Phys.org
Are you referring to CERN's announcement regarding the Higgs? If so, it has no relevance to dark matter. The Standard Model provides no candidates for dark matter. The Higgs is a normal boson, and is not in abundance in the universe. The Higgs Mechanism gives fermions mass with it's vacuum expectation value, whereas the Higgs boson is an excitation of that Higgs field.

Also, the Higgs is a complex dublet under SU(2). That is, it interacts through the weak force. Dark matter would not do this.

Mark M said:
Also, the Higgs is a complex dublet under SU(2). That is, it interacts through the weak force. Dark matter would not do this.
I believe that many dark matter candidates do actually interact through the weak force.

Edit: But you're right, the Higgs has little to nothing to do with dark matter, in part because it decays in a tiny fraction of a second. Dark matter hangs around for billions of years, at the very least.

Thanks Mark & Chalnoth. That's what I meant and it makes sense.

Mark M said:
... the Higgs boson is an excitation of that Higgs field.

Does this mean that the (approx) 125GeV value only applies in this state?

Regards,

Noel.

Lino said:

Regards,

Noel.

I believe particles are considered to be excitations of the field, and if so then yes, it would only apply to that state when the particle actually exists before decaying.

Lino said:

Regards,

Noel.

Yes. In quantum field theory, every particle has a corresponding field, and every field has a corresponding particle excitation. For the electromagnetic field, there is the photon. The gluon is an excitation of the gluon field. All fermions have associated field, too. Similarly, the Higgs field's excitation is the Higgs boson.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Noel.

1. What is the CERN particle announcement related to dark matter/energy?

The CERN particle announcement related to dark matter/energy is a recent scientific discovery made by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) that sheds light on the mysterious invisible matter and energy that makes up a large portion of our universe.

2. How was this discovery made?

This discovery was made using the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, which is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. Scientists used the LHC to smash protons together and analyze the resulting particles to search for new and exotic particles that could help explain the nature of dark matter/energy.

3. What is the significance of this discovery?

This discovery is significant because it helps us better understand the composition and behavior of our universe. Dark matter/energy makes up about 95% of the universe, and until now, it has remained a mystery. This discovery brings us closer to understanding the fundamental laws that govern our universe.

4. How does this discovery impact our current understanding of physics?

This discovery challenges our current understanding of physics, as it suggests the existence of new particles that were not previously predicted by existing theories. It also provides valuable data that can help refine and improve our current theories, ultimately leading to a deeper understanding of the universe.

5. What are the potential future implications of this discovery?

This discovery opens up new avenues for research and can potentially lead to groundbreaking advancements in our understanding of dark matter/energy. It could also have practical applications, such as improving our understanding of gravity and potentially leading to new technologies and innovations. Additionally, this discovery could pave the way for future discoveries and advancements in the field of particle physics.