Challenge: Submit Extremely Difficult Math Problems

• Thread starter HeisenBerg46
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the conversation was about finding extremely challenging math equations/problems to solve. The first problem mentioned was proving that the nontrivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function have a real part of 1/2. The second problem was finding the shortest path for a circular object to roll down, known as the brachistochrone problem. Other problems mentioned were finding a curve with a given circumference for maximal surface area, and a problem involving walking towards the moon on the Earth's surface. Another problem mentioned was generating codes based on the system date, and asking for help in finding the algorithm used. Lastly, the conversation also included sharing various math problems such as finding the shortest path for a frictionless bead to slide down and
HeisenBerg46
I am looking for extremely challenging math equations/problems to solve. I would appreciate any problems in any field of mathematics (almost nothing is too difficult). Note that I am looking for straightforward problems with an answer (not proving someone else's conjectures). Who knows, others may even appreciate the challenge.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Prove that the nontrivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function have a real part of 1/2.

Oh, you wanted problems with an answer...

Maybe try finding the shortest path for a circular object to roll down? ( I.e. the brachistochrone problem.)

jhae2.718 said:
Prove that the nontrivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function have a real part of 1/2.

Oh, you wanted problems with an answer...

Maybe try finding the shortest path for a circular object to roll down? ( I.e. the brachistochrone problem.)

Yes... I was looking for original problems with an answer, not just proofs. But to answer your initial problem, they correspond to the real part of the roots of the xi function, which are more easily calculated. These problems are very interesting though...

Last edited:

Find a curve with a given circumference such that the surface area that it covers is maximal. For example, a rectangle with dimensions 3 and 1 has surface area 3. But this is not maximal, because a square with length 2 has the same circumference (i.e. 8), but has surface area 4. Now, what is the curve that has a maximal surface area?

Another, easier, problem is the following. Say that you stand on a point in the earth. And you walk with a velocity v. You always walk in the direction of the moon. But of course, the moon change position, so you would always walk in a different direction.
Find a differential equation which describes the previous process. Now, let's say that you actually did the previous process, then what would happen asymptotically? I.e. if you kept on walking, would you converge to a certain point?

HeisenBerg46 said:
I am looking for extremely challenging math equations/problems to solve. I would appreciate any problems in any field of mathematics (almost nothing is too difficult). Note that I am looking for straightforward problems with an answer (not proving someone else's conjectures). Who knows, others may even appreciate the challenge.

Hi, I am looking for a solution to what I believe is a complex problem (at least for myself but maybe not for you!). I am a computer technican, and I have to get an unlock code for some software on a weekly basis. This can take 5 minutes or over per phone call, and I work with a large team who also have to suffer the same deal, and wanted to save myself and my team a lot of time by generating the codes we need ourselves. The 4 digit codes generated are based on the system date. I know this because I can change the system date in the laptop, and the code for that day works on the software we need to use it for. It's a "code of the day" type problem which I have not found a solution for anywhere else. I have several days worth of codes and their corresponding dates which I can list here:

Code for 09/09/11 is 0953
Code for 10/09/11 is 7487
Code for 11/09/11 is 6993
Code for 12/09/11 is 4955
Code for 13/09/11 is 8361
Code for 14/09/11 is 6999

What I wanted to know is, what is the algorithm used to generate the 4 digit codes based on the systems date? There could be other implications such as the week number in the year being used for the working formula, date shifting, division, subtraction, multiplication or addition with a constant set of numbers being used to generate the code. If you could help me, I would greatly appreciate it and pay homage to your superior intellect! So far, nobody I know and nobody on the internet has managed to write code to solve this, and I would really like to write a program to generate the code if I knew the algorithm/formula used.

Many thanks for your time,

GlennRoast.com

jhae2.718 said:

I think you mean least time. A frictionless bead slides down a curve from point A to point B under the acceleration of gravity. Find the curve resulting in the least time to traverse.

let π be the finite degree projection from the space parametrizing lines on all cubic surfaces in P^3 to the space of all such cubic surfaces. prove that if (L,S) is a point of the domain corresponding to a cubic surface S and a line L on S, that the differential of π has as image exactly the vector space of those cubic surfaces which meet S at least along the set where L meets the singular set of S. (For definitions, see Mumford, Algebraic geometry I, Complex projective varieties), last chapter.)

or if you want this phrased so that it is a problem and not a "proof", compute that image without me telling you the answer.

Find two sets, P and Q, satifying these properties:
1) P and Q are both completely contained in the square in R2 determined by [itex]-1\le x\le 1[/itex] and [itex]-1\le y\le 1[/itex].

2) P contains the diagonally opposite points (-1, -1) and (1, 1) and Q contains the diagonally opposite points (1, -1) and (-1, 1).

3) P and Q are both connected sets (in the usual topology for R2).

4) P and Q are disjoint.

Solve the log-sine integrals. That is define
[tex]S_k = (-1)^k \int_0^1 \log^k (\sin \pi x) dx[/tex]
and show
[tex]S_k = \frac{(-1)^k}{\sqrt\pi 2^k} \frac{d^k}{d\alpha^k} \frac{\Gamma(\alpha+1/2)}{\Gamma(\alpha+1)}[/tex]
with [itex]\alpha=0[/itex].

Find the recurrence for the Sk, and hence show
[tex]S_4 = \frac{19 \pi^4}{240}+\frac{1}{2} \pi^2 \log^2 2 + \log^4 2 + 6 \log 2 \, \zeta(3)[/tex]

Show the following:
[tex]\int_0^1 \log \log (1/x) \frac{dx}{1+x^2} = \frac{\pi}{2}\log (\sqrt{2\pi} \Gamma(3/4) / \Gamma(1/4))[/tex]

I think you scared him away.

Challenging Math

Hello,
I have been trying to solve this problem and then I came across this thread on google and I thought I'd submit it to you.

Basically, the formula is y=x/log(x).

I want to solve this for x.

So basically, y equals a number divided by is natural logarithm.
But what if I have y, can I solve what number divided by its natural log equals that.

Is that possible?

Thank You
Barry

thembonez said:
Hello,
I have been trying to solve this problem and then I came across this thread on google and I thought I'd submit it to you.

Basically, the formula is y=x/log(x).

I want to solve this for x.

So basically, y equals a number divided by is natural logarithm.
But what if I have y, can I solve what number divided by its natural log equals that.

Is that possible?

Thank You
Barry

You can probably solve it with the Lambert W function. Otherwise, no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_W_function

Prove/disprove God's existence and/or uniquness.

Godspeed!

glennroast said:
Hi, I am looking for a solution to what I believe is a complex problem (at least for myself but maybe not for you!). I am a computer technican, and I have to get an unlock code for some software on a weekly basis. This can take 5 minutes or over per phone call, and I work with a large team who also have to suffer the same deal, and wanted to save myself and my team a lot of time by generating the codes we need ourselves. The 4 digit codes generated are based on the system date. I know this because I can change the system date in the laptop, and the code for that day works on the software we need to use it for. It's a "code of the day" type problem which I have not found a solution for anywhere else. I have several days worth of codes and their corresponding dates which I can list here:

Code for 09/09/11 is 0953
Code for 10/09/11 is 7487
Code for 11/09/11 is 6993
Code for 12/09/11 is 4955
Code for 13/09/11 is 8361
Code for 14/09/11 is 6999

What I wanted to know is, what is the algorithm used to generate the 4 digit codes based on the systems date? There could be other implications such as the week number in the year being used for the working formula, date shifting, division, subtraction, multiplication or addition with a constant set of numbers being used to generate the code. If you could help me, I would greatly appreciate it and pay homage to your superior intellect! So far, nobody I know and nobody on the internet has managed to write code to solve this, and I would really like to write a program to generate the code if I knew the algorithm/formula used.

Many thanks for your time,

GlennRoast.com
Since you have given 6 values, it would be pretty easy to find a 5th degree polynomial that will give those 6 values. But there is no reason to believe that would give the next value. There is NO way to determine, from just a finite number of values, what is the algorithm.

How 0.(9) should be converted to fraction?

WaaWaa Waa said:
How 0.(9) should be converted to fraction?

That would be the fraction ##\frac{1}{1}##. That was not a difficult problem :tongue:

micromass said:
That would be the fraction ##\frac{1}{1}##. That was not a difficult problem :tongue:

Right, and IMHO, the best argument for demonstrating that 0.(9) and 1 are exactly equal :approve:

micromass said:

Could you show me the process please and how ##\frac{1}{1}## is to be onverted back to 0.(9), if its not too much trouble :redface:

A monk climbs to the top of a certain mountain with unequal speeds and random stops of random durations, he reaches the top at the sunset of the 13th day from the start. After meditating there for a week, he starts climbing down the mountain at the sunrise with unequal speeds and random stops. The speed while climbing down is obviously greater than speed climbing up. Assuming that he follows the exact same path for both journeys prove that there exists a time of day where the monk was at the same position on the path for both journeys.
Mr.E

prove an+bn ≠ cn unless n ≤ 2.

Are you good at elliptic curves and modular functions? :approve:

Enigman said:
A monk climbs to the top of a certain mountain with unequal speeds and random stops of random durations, he reaches the top at the sunset of the 13th day from the start. After meditating there for a week, he starts climbing down the mountain at the sunrise with unequal speeds and random stops. The speed while climbing down is obviously greater than speed climbing up. Assuming that he follows the exact same path for both journeys prove that there exists a time of day where the monk was at the same position on the path for both journeys.
Mr.E

That one is trivial. Instead of one monk traveling on two days, you visualize two monks traveling on a single day. The two monks must meet at some point along the trail.

@OP, I would be very grateful if you explain Godel's Incompleteness Theorem in simple English and in a very easy to understand manner.

pwsnafu said:
That one is trivial. Instead of one monk traveling on two days, you visualize two monks traveling on a single day. The two monks must meet at some point along the trail.

You seem to be confusing "trivial" with "the solution is short to write down."

I don't think that this problem is all that trivial, and your solution is certainly not. I haven't really given it much thought, but I think most people would use the intermediate value theorem or something. Your solution, on the other hand, is more elegant and not at all trivial.

I don't know how to figure this out. I hope I explained it in a way that's understandable.
toohardforme.jpg

Sidewards forces (as in the last image) make the problem underdetermined, the answer will depend on unknown details of the blocks like elasticity and so on.

mfb said:
Sidewards forces (as in the last image) make the problem underdetermined, the answer will depend on unknown details of the blocks like elasticity and so on.

Granted, this is all out of my realm of expertise, but would it be possible to solve if you made some assumptions in order to simplify the problem as much as possible? i.e.: no elasticity, etc. (basically assuming a very simplified, isolated environment for this problem).

No elasticity is exactly what makes it underdetermined.
You can modify x to make some forces equal, but as long as the green shape is bounded by A and B on both sides as in the sketch sidewards forces cannot be calculated in a meaningful way.

Consider this recursive function: (216 = 65536)
iE8AWAf.png

I've concluded that xi will be equal to 0 again for any positive odd integers a and b where i ≤ 216
If a and b can let this recursive function generate 216 non-repeating x values (x216 is equal to 0 again), (a,b) is considered a solution.
How do I find solutions to this function?
I've created a https://04d0baa7da66c2f6a93b52f50a7fe97d93f53104.googledrive.com/host/0B6SNz1_WgxrsUGhWa3lzWWp2ZHc [Broken]to find solutions (there are a lot of solutions, but I don't know how to get to them). Along with it is some additional information of the code.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of "Challenge: Submit Extremely Difficult Math Problems"?

The purpose of this challenge is to push the boundaries of mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills. It allows for the exploration of complex concepts and encourages critical thinking and creativity.

2. Who can participate in this challenge?

This challenge is open to anyone with a passion for mathematics and a desire to solve difficult problems. It is not limited to any specific age, education level, or background.

3. How do I submit a problem for the challenge?

You can submit your problem through the designated platform or website. Make sure to clearly state the problem, provide any necessary background information, and include a solution or proof if possible.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of problems that can be submitted?

No, there are no restrictions on the types of problems that can be submitted. They can range from pure mathematics to real-world applications. However, they must be original and not previously published.

5. What happens after a problem is submitted?

After a problem is submitted, it will be reviewed by a panel of experts. If the problem is deemed to be extremely difficult and original, it will be added to the challenge. The submitter will be credited for their contribution and the problem will be made available for others to solve.