Chance of 23 people have atleast one shared birthday

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Addez123
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Addez123
Messages
199
Reaction score
21
TL;DR
What's the odds that, when having 23 people gatherd, that atleast 2 has same birthdate?
The odds should be 1 - The odds of nobody having the same birthday
The odds of nobody having same birthday should be:

$$365/365 * 364/365 * 363/365 ... (365-22)/365 = 365!/(365-23)! = 365P23$$
However, $$365P23 = 4.22 * 10^58$$ so I'm obviously doing something wrong here but I can't see what.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Addez123 said:
Summary:: What's the odds that, when having 23 people gatherd, that atleast 2 has same birthdate?

The odds should be 1 - The odds of nobody having the same birthday
The odds of nobody having same birthday should be:

$$365/365 * 364/365 * 363/365 ... (365-22)/365 = 365!/(365-23)! = 365P23$$
However, $$365P23 = 4.22 * 10^58$$ so I'm obviously doing something wrong here but I can't see what.
Not multiplying correctly?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
PeroK said:
Not multiplying correctly?
What part is incorrect?
365P23 = 42,200,819,302,092,400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
I double checked.
 
Addez123 said:
What part is incorrect?
365P23 = 42,200,819,302,092,400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
I double checked.
All the numbers you are multiplying together are less than 1.
 
You left out a factor ##\frac{1}{365^{23}}## in your first line summary.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Addez123, Stephen Tashi and PeroK
Oh I see.
The $$\frac 1 {365^{23}}$$
is the total amount of possible birthdays for all people.

I encountered another issue tho. In my textbook, the answer is
$$1-364!/(365^{22} \cdot 342!) \approx .507$$
It seems here they've calculated 364P22 instead of 365P23.
I don't see why tho?
 
Addez123 said:
Oh I see.
The $$\frac 1 {365^{23}}$$
is the total amount of possible birthdays for all people.

I encountered another issue tho. In my textbook, the answer is
$$1-364!/(365^{22} \cdot 342!) \approx .507$$
It seems here they've calculated 364P22 instead of 365P23.
I don't see why tho?
I suspect that 364 and 22 are the numbers for other people (22) not having the same birthday (364 not).