Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in indicating threads with new posts

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Before the server moved, in each forum the software highlighted (in bold face) the titles of threads that had new posts since the last time I visited that particular forum. For example, if I visited the Relativity forum on Wednesday, and then again on Friday, the threads with new posts since Wednesday were highlighted, even though I visited the Quantum Physics forum on Thursday.

Now, it appears that in each forum the software highlights the titles of threads that have new posts since the last time I visited any forum on PF. That is, in the example above, in the Relativity forum only threads with new posts since Thursday are highlighted, even though I last visited that forum on Wednesday.

Under the new system, it's easier to miss new posts. Is there any way to change it back to the way it was before?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2006 #2
    hmmm no settings were changed during the move and it works like it used to for me. anyone else having troubles?

4. Nov 3, 2006 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could be wrong, but I think that this is the way it always worked for me.

5. Nov 3, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, it's always worked that way for me. It would be nice if it worked the other way around, because at home, I have PF set as my homepage, and just opening my browser to go to another site changes everything to "viewed" just from the brief moment it spends at PF until I get to the other site (I know, I know, it's my fault for checking out another website before I check out PF :rolleyes:).

6. Nov 3, 2006 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Maybe I was mistaken about the way it worked before. I use another vBulletin based site regularly, and it works the way PF does now. But I clearly remember thinking, well before PF moved, that it would be nice if the other site worked the same way PF did (at that time)!

Maybe I've simply tended to read the same set of forums regularly here, whereas at the other site I read some forums on one visit, and other forums on the next visit. And somehow I've started to change my habits here so they're more like at the other site.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?