Change of Coordinates (Two-Body Problem)

In summary, the interaction potential depends only on the vector \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{r_1} - \mathbf{r_2} between the two particles. In that case, the Schrodinger equation separates if we change variables from \mathbf{r_1}, \mathbf{r_2} to \mathbf{r} and \mathbf{R} \equiv (m_1\mathbf{r_1} + m_2\mathbf{r_2})/m_1+m_2.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Context: reducing a two-body problem to a one body problem (each body is a quantum particle, although this is not relevant to the parts of the problem I am stuck on

Homework Statement

Griffiths QM, Problem 5.1

Typically the interaction potential depends only on the vector [itex] \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{r_1} - \mathbf{r_2} [/itex] between the two particles. In that case, the Schrodinger equation separates if we change variables from [itex] \mathbf{r_1}, \mathbf{r_2} [/itex] to [itex] \mathbf{r} [/itex] and [itex] \mathbf{R} \equiv (m_1\mathbf{r_1} + m_2\mathbf{r_2})/m_1+m_2 [/itex] (the centre of mass).

(a) Show that [itex] \mathbf{r_1} = \mathbf{R} + (\mu/m_1)\mathbf{r} [/itex], [itex] \mathbf{r_2} = \mathbf{R} - (\mu/m_2)\mathbf{r} [/itex], and [itex] \nabla_1 = (\mu/m_2)\nabla_R + \nabla_r [/itex], [itex] \nabla_2 = (\mu/m_1)\nabla_R - \nabla_r [/itex], where

[tex] \mu \equiv \frac{m_1m_2}{m_1 + m_2} [/tex]

is the reduced mass of the system.

Homework Equations

Already given

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)

(i) [tex] \mathbf{r_1} = \mathbf{r} + \mathbf{r_2} = \mathbf{r} + \left(\frac{m_1 + m_2}{m_2}\mathbf{R} - \frac{m_1}{m_2}\mathbf{r_1}
\right)[/tex]

[tex] \mathbf{r_1}\left(1 + \frac{m_1}{m_2}\right) = \mathbf{r_1}\left(\frac{m_1 + m_2}{m_2}\right) = \left(\frac{m_1 + m_2}{m_2}\right)\mathbf{R} + \mathbf{r} [/tex]

[tex] \longRightarrow \mathbf{r_1} = \mathbf{R} + \frac{m_2}{m_1 + m_2}\mathbf{r} = \mathbf{R} + \frac{\mu}{m_1}\mathbf{r} [/tex]

(ii) [tex] \mathbf{r_2} = \mathbf{r_1} - \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{R} + \frac{\mu}{m_1}\mathbf{r} - \mathbf{r} [/tex]

[tex] = \mathbf{R} + \left(\frac{\mu}{m_1} - 1 \right) \mathbf{r} = \mathbf{R} + \left(\frac{m_2}{m_1 + m_2} - \frac{m_1 + m_2}{m_1 + m_2} \right)\mathbf{r} [/tex]

[tex] = \mathbf{R} - \left(\frac{m_1}{m_1 + m_2}\right)\mathbf{r} = \mathbf{R} - \frac{\mu}{m_2}\mathbf{r} [/tex]

(iii) Now here's where I got stuck. I thought to start in cartesian coordinates:

[tex] \nabla_1 \equiv \mathbf{\hat{x}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x_1} + \mathbf{\hat{y}} \frac{\partial}{\partial y_1} + \mathbf{\hat{z}} \frac{\partial}{\partial z_1} [/tex]

and then based on the relationships between [itex] x_1 [/itex], [itex] x_R [/itex], and [itex] x_r [/itex] obtained in the first part, I could find the answer. But if I do that, I just get:

[tex] \nabla_1 = \nabla_R + \frac{\mu}{m_1}\nabla_r [/tex]

which is clearly not the right answer. Any tips for this section?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It works fine over here. For instance,

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x_1}=\frac{\partial R_x}{\partial x_1}\frac{\partial}{\partial R_x}+\frac{\partial r_x}{\partial x_1}\frac{\partial}{\partial r_x}=\frac{\mu}{m_2}\frac{\partial}{\partial R_x}+\frac{\partial}{\partial r_x}[/tex]

You're right. It turns out I was just being dumb. Thanks.

What is the Two-Body Problem?

The Two-Body Problem is a mathematical problem in celestial mechanics that involves predicting the motion of two gravitationally interacting bodies, such as planets or stars, over a period of time.

Why is it important to study the Two-Body Problem?

Studying the Two-Body Problem allows us to understand the motion and interactions of celestial bodies in our solar system and beyond. It also has practical applications in fields such as space exploration and satellite orbit prediction.

What is the Change of Coordinates in the Two-Body Problem?

The Change of Coordinates in the Two-Body Problem refers to the transformation of the coordinates of the two bodies from one reference frame to another. This is often necessary when studying the motion of celestial bodies from different perspectives or using different coordinate systems.

How do you calculate the Change of Coordinates in the Two-Body Problem?

The Change of Coordinates in the Two-Body Problem is typically calculated using mathematical equations and models, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion. Advanced techniques, such as numerical integration, may also be used to make more precise calculations.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the Change of Coordinates in the Two-Body Problem?

The accuracy of the Change of Coordinates in the Two-Body Problem can be affected by various factors, such as the accuracy of initial conditions, the presence of other gravitational bodies, and the limitations of mathematical models and calculations. Additionally, the longer the time period being predicted, the greater the potential for error.