Solving two body central force motion using Lagrangian

deuteron
Homework Statement
Find the equation of motion
Relevant Equations
##\mathcal L= T-U##
For the central force ##F=-\nabla U(r_r)## where ##\vec r_r=\vec r_1-\vec r_2##, and ##\vec r_1## and ##\vec r_2## denote the positions of the masses, we get the following kinetic energy using the definition of center of mass ##\vec r_{cm}= \frac{m_1\vec r_1+m_2\vec r_2}{m_1+m_2}##:

$$T= \frac 1 2 (m_1+m_2) \dot{\vec r}_{cm}^2 + \frac 12 \frac{m_1m_2}{m_1+m_2} \dot {\vec r}_r^2$$

We can write the ##\dot {\vec r}## terms in polar coordinates as:

$$\dot{\vec r} = \dot r^2 \vec e_r+ r^2\dot\theta^2\vec e_\theta$$

However, then we get the following equation of mass for the center of mass:

$$\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial r_{cm}}=(m_1+m_2)r_{cm}\dot\theta_{cm}= \frac d {dt}\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot r_{cm}}= M\ddot r_{cm}$$
$$\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\theta_{cm}}=0=\frac d {dt} \frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial \dot \theta_{cm}}= (m_1+m_2) \ddot\theta_{cm}$$

from which we get:

$$\dot\theta_{cm}=\text{const.}$$
$$M\ddot r _{cm} = M r_{cm}\dot\theta_{cm}$$

and if we don't decide ##\vec r_{cm}## to be the origin, which I don't think we *have* to do, then ##\ddot r_{cm}## has a value, which I am not really sure is true. What am I doing wrong above?

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
What generalized coordinates are you using? Remember that you need 3 coordinates per mass which means 6 for this case. This ##r_{cm}= \frac{m_1r_1+m-2r_2}{m_1+m_2}## is not the definition of the center of mass. It is the vector equation $$\mathbf{ R}_{cm}=\frac{m_1\mathbf{ r}_1+m_2\mathbf{ r}_2}{m_1+m_2}.$$

kuruman said:
What generalized coordinates are you using? Remember that you need 3 coordinates per mass which means 6 for this case. This ##r_{cm}= \frac{m_1r_1+m-2r_2}{m_1+m_2}## is not the definition of the center of mass. It is the vector equation $$\mathbf{ R}_{cm}=\frac{m_1\mathbf{ r}_1+m_2\mathbf{ r}_2}{m_1+m_2}.$$
Since in central force problems angular momentum is conserved and therefore the masses move in the plane perpendicular to the angular momentum we only need 2 coordinates per mass, in this case total 4 coordinates, which I started with Cartesian and then changed to polar coordinates at the line "We can write the ##\dot{\vec r}## in˙ terms in polar coordinates as:"

Thanks for the warning tho, I fixed the notation with the vector symbols

The statement of the problem is just "Find the equation of motion." Of what? I don't understand ##\theta_{cm}##. If you have two interacting masses, the CM coordinates separate out and you are left with a Lagrangian in relative coordinates. If you have two interacting masses in a central potential then ##\theta_{cm}## makes sense, but you have to choose your origin at the force center.

Please write down a precise statement of the problem that you are considering. Also, it would help if you provided a diagram defining your coordinates.

kuruman said:
The statement of the problem is just "Find the equation of motion." Of what? I don't understand ##\theta_{cm}##. If you have two interacting masses, the CM coordinates separate out and you are left with a Lagrangian in relative coordinates. If you have two interacting masses in a central potential then ##\theta_{cm}## makes sense, but you have to choose your origin at the force center.

Please write down a precise statement of the problem that you are considering. Also, it would help if you provided a diagram defining your coordinates.
The equation of motion of the masses that are interacting under the central potential. ##\theta_{cm}## refers to the angle that the position vector ##r_{cm}## makes with the ##x-##axis of the chosen coordinate frame (polar coordinates). There is not one force center since both the bodies exert central force on each other. This is a basic Kepler two body problem, I just mathematically can't get to the statement that ##\dot {\vec r}_{cm}=\text{const.}##

Then why do you even bother with ##\theta_{cm}##? Define $$\mathbf{ R}=\frac{m_1\mathbf{ r}_1+m_2\mathbf{ r}_2}{m_1+m_2}~;~~~\mathbf{r}=\mathbf{r}_2-\mathbf{r}_1$$solve for ##\mathbf{r}_2## and ##\mathbf{r}_1## in terms of ##\mathbf{R}## and ##\mathbf{r}## and substitute in $$T=\frac{1}{2}m_1 \mathbf{\dot{r}_1}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2 \mathbf{\dot{r}_2}^2.$$ The motion of the CM should separate out and result in ##\mathbf{\dot R}=\rm{const.}## Use the Cartesian representation ##\mathbf{r}_i=x_i~\mathbf{\hat x}+y_i~\mathbf{\hat y}+z_i~\mathbf{\hat z}.##

kuruman said:
Then why do you even bother with ##\theta_{cm}##? Define $$\mathbf{ R}=\frac{m_1\mathbf{ r}_1+m_2\mathbf{ r}_2}{m_1+m_2}~;~~~\mathbf{r}=\mathbf{r}_2-\mathbf{r}_1$$solve for ##\mathbf{r}_2## and ##\mathbf{r}_1## in terms of ##\mathbf{R}## and ##\mathbf{r}## and substitute in $$T=\frac{1}{2}m_1 \mathbf{\dot{r}_1}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2 \mathbf{\dot{r}_2}^2.$$ The motion of the CM should separate out and result in ##\mathbf{\dot R}=\rm{const.}## Use the Cartesian representation ##\mathbf{r}_i=x_i~\mathbf{\hat x}+y_i~\mathbf{\hat y}+z_i~\mathbf{\hat z}.##
yes i already did that and started the question after arriving at ##T= \frac 12 (m_1+m_2) \dot{\vec r}_{cm}^2 + \frac 12 \mu \dot{\vec r}_r^2##

After that, I wrote ##\vec r_{cm}## and ##\vec r_r## in terms of polar coordinates, and then applied Lagrangian equations of motion as you'll see in my question.

After applying Lagrange, I got a non-zero expression for the angular and radial parts of the center of mass, which should not have happened, that's why I think I did something wrong, but I can't figure out which step is the wrong one.

deuteron said:
yes i already did that and started the question after arriving at ##T= \frac 12 (m_1+m_2) \dot{\vec r}_{cm}^2 + \frac 12 \mu \dot{\vec r}_r^2##

After that, I wrote ##\vec r_{cm}## and ##\vec r_r## in terms of polar coordinates, and then applied Lagrangian equations of motion as you'll see in my question.

After applying Lagrange, I got a non-zero expression for the angular and radial parts of the center of mass, which should not have happened, that's why I think I did something wrong, but I can't figure out which step is the wrong one.
Can you explain how you get ##\dot R=\text{const.}## and what you mean with "the motion of the CM should separate out"?

deuteron said:
OK, then your Lagrangian is $$\mathcal{L}=\frac 12 (m_1+m_2) \dot{\vec r}_{cm}^2 +\frac 12 \mu \dot{\vec r}_r^2-V(r_r)$$ For generalized coordinate ##\vec {r}_{cm}## three equations of motion are obtained from $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial{\vec {\dot r}_{cm}}}-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial \vec r_{cm}}=0.$$What do you get? Repeat for generalized coordinate ##\vec r_r.##

Last edited:
deuteron said:
Can you explain how you get ##\dot R=\text{const.}## and what you mean with "the motion of the CM should separate out"?
If you obtain the equation of motion for ##\mathbf{R}=\vec r_{cm}## as I outlined in post #9, you will get ##(m_1+m_2)\ddot{\mathbf R}=0## which implies ##\dot{\mathbf R}=\text{const.}## You can actually do that in your head by just looking at the Lagrangian in post #9.

The motion of the CM separates out in the sense that the equation of motion for the CM has no ##\mathbf r## in it and the equation of motion for ##\mathbf r## has no ##\mathbf R## in it.

kuruman said:
OK, then your Lagrangian is $$\mathcal{L}=\frac 12 (m_1+m_2) \dot{\vec r}_{cm}^2 +\frac 12 \mu \dot{\vec r}_r^2-V(r_r)$$ For generalized coordinate ##\vec {r}_{cm}## three equations of motion are obtained from $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial \vec {r}_{cm}}{\partial{\vec {\dot r}_{cm}}}-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial \vec r_{cm}}=0.$$What do you get? Repeat for generalized coordinate ##\vec r_r.##
But are we allowed to derive ##\mathcal L## with respect to a vector ##\vec r_{cm}##? Instead, if we decompose the vector into its polar coordinates, we get for the Lagrangian

$$\mathcal L= \frac 12 M (\dot r_{cm}^2 + r_{cm}^2 \dot\theta_{cm}^2) + \frac 12\mu (\dot r_r^2 + r_r^2\dot\theta_r^2)-V(r_r)$$

which then gives for the equation of motion:

$$\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial r_{cm}} = M r \dot\theta_{cm}^2$$

$$\frac d {dt}\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot r_{cm}}= M\ddot r_{cm}$$

You missed my point in post#9. I said there are three equations. This means that there are 3 separate equations of motion for the CM in Cartesian coordinates. Forget the polar representation for the CM. It can only buy you grief. $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial \vec {r}_{cm}}{\partial{\vec {\dot r}_{cm}}}-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial \vec r_{cm}}=0\rightarrow
\begin{cases}
\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial{{\dot x}_{cm}}}-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial x_{cm}} =0\\
\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial{{\dot y}_{cm}}}-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial y_{cm}} =0 \\
\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial{{\dot z}_{cm}}}-\frac{\partial \mathcal L}{\partial z_{cm}} =0
\end{cases}$$

What is the concept of two body central force motion?

Two body central force motion refers to the motion of two particles that are attracted to each other by a central force, such as gravity or electrostatic force. This type of motion can be described using Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for analyzing the dynamics of systems.

How is Lagrangian used to solve two body central force motion?

Lagrangian is used to solve two body central force motion by defining a set of generalized coordinates and using the Lagrangian equations of motion to derive the equations of motion for the system. These equations can then be solved to determine the positions and velocities of the particles at any given time.

What are the advantages of using Lagrangian to solve two body central force motion?

One of the main advantages of using Lagrangian to solve two body central force motion is that it provides a more elegant and concise way of describing the dynamics of the system compared to traditional methods. Additionally, it allows for the incorporation of constraints and the conservation of energy and momentum, making it a powerful tool for analyzing complex systems.

What are the limitations of using Lagrangian to solve two body central force motion?

One limitation of using Lagrangian to solve two body central force motion is that it can be more complex and time-consuming compared to traditional methods, especially for systems with multiple particles or complex interactions. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of systems and may require some simplifications or approximations to be made.

Can Lagrangian be used to solve three or more body central force motion?

Yes, Lagrangian can be extended to solve three or more body central force motion. However, as the number of particles increases, the complexity of the equations also increases, making it more difficult to solve analytically. In these cases, numerical methods may be used instead.