Changes to member Profiles

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the changes made to the profile fields should reduce confusion and spam and the restrictions on usage of the fields to staff, advisors, and gold members should hopefully reduce the number of new "members" who post spam links.
Two changes have been made. One for better clarity and one for spam prevention.

Clarity change:
We have split the education profile field into two fields. One for expressing the level at which you are working towards and one for which level you have officially obtained. This should reduce confusion for example figuring out if someone has or is working towards their PhD. In addition we have added a "University" field where you can include where you currently attend or alma mater. Further more in the "member card" (popup), under the user name and gender there will be a line where it will list the highest obtained and the degree.

Spam Prevention:
Recently spammers have been registering and typing in their spam URLs into profile fields. Specially "homepage" and "about" were being targeted. Note that there is very little benefit as both fields are set to "nofollow" and member pages in general are set to "noindex" so search engines don't value these links or pages. However some spammers don't get this and still waste our resources and presentation. So we have restricted usage of these fields to staff, advisors, and gold members.

Click here to visit your profile and make the changes
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/personal-details

Likes ISamson, QuantumQuest, Kninfinite and 12 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the spam changes retroactive? I've seen so many new "members" lately, like one the other day that posted a link to his site where he was advertising that he writes research papers for a fee. I'm sure this person isn't here to contribute. He posted the link in the "information" page.

Evo said:
Are the spam changes retroactive?
Yeah, it's a simple template conditional

,... under the user name and gender there will be a line where it will list the highest obtained and the degree...
Let's hope not; at least for most people, whom one would assume have already reached their highest level of gender.

Likes Comeback City, dlgoff, phinds and 1 other person
Yes, male supremacy! And that in an age of political correctness :P

The educatn adjustment seems good to me. I've also found it rather vague.

Well, physics is gender neutral. So it doesn't matter whether you are male, female or whatever you define to be ;-)).

there needs to be a "i wish i was still in school" option

Likes ibkev, dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt

1. What changes can I make to my member profile?

As a member, you have the ability to edit and update your personal information, such as your name, email address, profile picture, and bio. You can also add or remove your interests and skills, as well as update your privacy settings.

2. How do I access my member profile?

To access your member profile, log into your account and click on your profile picture or username. This will take you to your profile page where you can make any desired changes.

3. Can I change my username on my member profile?

Yes, you have the option to change your username on your member profile. Simply go to your profile settings and click on the "Edit" button next to your current username. Keep in mind that your new username must be unique and not already in use by another member.

4. Will my changes to my member profile be visible to others?

By default, your changes to your member profile will be visible to other members. However, you have the option to change your privacy settings and choose who can see your profile information.

5. What should I do if I encounter any issues while making changes to my member profile?

If you experience any issues while making changes to your member profile, you can contact our customer support team for assistance. They will be happy to help you resolve any technical difficulties or answer any questions you may have.