Characteristic vibration frequencies of a system

In summary, the author was trying to solve an equation involving kinetic and potential energy, but by using Goldstein's method instead. He found the matrices T and V, but something was wrong. He realized that B=C=k/2 and \omega<0 didn't lead to a new solution.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve an example in Boas's book (Mathematical methods in the physical science page 423) but by using Goldstein's (Classical mechanics) method.
The mechanical system consists of 3 springs (with constants k) and 2 masses (with mass m) this way: |----m----m----|, where | are walls.2. Homework Equations and approach
Find kinetic and potential energy. Then write both of them in terms of matrices. Then the characteristic frequencies are calculated from [itex]|V-\omega ^2 T |=0[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Like Boas found, if [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are the displacement of the masses from their equilibrium position, then [itex]T=\frac{m}{2}(\dot x ^2 + \dot y^2 )[/itex]. And [itex]T=k(x^2+y^2-xy)[/itex].
In order to find the matrices T and V, I write [itex]T=\begin{pmatrix} \dot x_1 & \dot x_2 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} A & B \\ C & D \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \dot x_1 \\ \dot x_2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. This gives me [itex]A=D=\frac{m}{2}[/itex] and [itex]C=D=0[/itex].
I do a similar algebra for V, namely [itex]V=\begin{pmatrix} x_1 & x_2 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} A & B \\ C & D \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. This gives me [itex]A=D=k[/itex] while [itex]C+B=-1[/itex]. Here I am not 100% sure but I think that since I'm using normal coordinates (still not 100% sure I'm really doing it), C must equal B. Assuming this I get [itex]C=B=-1/2[/itex].
I calculated [itex]|V-\omega ^2 T |=0[/itex], this gave me [tex]\left ( k-\frac{m\omega ^2}{2}-\frac{1}{2} \right )\left ( k-\frac{m\omega ^2}{2}+\frac{1}{2} \right )=0[/tex].
So that either [itex]\omega = \pm \sqrt {\frac{2k-1}{m}}[/itex] or [itex]\omega = \pm \sqrt {\frac{2k+1}{m}}[/itex]. Therefore I get 4 possible frequencies for the characteristic frequencies. I know I should only get 2 though, so something is already wrong. Looking at Boas, he/she found [itex]\omega _1 =\sqrt {\frac{k}{m}}[/itex] and [itex]\omega _2 =\sqrt {\frac{3k}{m}}[/itex].
I'm desperate in knowing where is/are my error(s).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should find that [itex]B=C=k/2[/itex]. Also [itex]\omega<0[/itex] doesn't lead to a new solution (your basis functions are appropriately odd or even).

fzero said:
You should find that [itex]B=C=k/2[/itex]. Also [itex]\omega<0[/itex] doesn't lead to a new solution (your basis functions are appropriately odd or even).
Thanks for pointing this out. I realize I forgot a factor "k".
So now I find the solutions provided by the book and thank you for your comment about a negative omega, I didn't know this.

What are characteristic vibration frequencies?

Characteristic vibration frequencies refer to the natural frequencies at which a system or object vibrates when disturbed. These frequencies are unique to each system and are determined by factors such as the object's size, shape, and material properties.

How are characteristic vibration frequencies measured?

Characteristic vibration frequencies can be measured using techniques such as spectral analysis, frequency response analysis, and modal analysis. These methods involve exciting the system with a known force or input and measuring the resulting vibration response.

Why are characteristic vibration frequencies important?

Characteristic vibration frequencies are important because they provide valuable information about the behavior and structural integrity of a system. By analyzing the frequencies at which a system vibrates, engineers can identify potential issues and make necessary changes to improve its performance.

How do characteristic vibration frequencies affect the design of a system?

The characteristic vibration frequencies of a system play a crucial role in its design. Engineers must consider these frequencies when designing structures, machines, and other systems to ensure that they can withstand and operate within the expected vibration levels.

Can characteristic vibration frequencies change over time?

Yes, characteristic vibration frequencies can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, changes in material properties, and environmental conditions. Regular monitoring and maintenance are crucial to ensure that a system continues to operate within its desired vibration frequencies.