Check Limit at Infinity of f(x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zhalfirin88
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Zhalfirin88
Messages
137
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Can you guys just check to see if I'm right?

[tex]f(x) = \frac{2x-\sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}{1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{2x - \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}{1} * \frac{2x+ \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}{2x+ \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{4x^2 - 4x^2 + 5x - 300}{2x+ \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\frac{5x-300}{x}}{\frac{2x+ \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}{x}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5- \frac{300}{x}}{2 + \sqrt{ \frac{4x^2 - 5x + 300}{x^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5 + 0}{2 + \sqrt{ \frac{4x^2}{x^2} - \frac{5x}{x^2} + \frac{300}{x^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5}{2 + \sqrt{4 - 0 +0}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5}{4}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zhalfirin88 said:

Homework Statement


Can you guys just check to see if I'm right?

[tex]f(x) = \frac{2x-\sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}{1}[/tex]

I don't know how to do Latex for limits at infinity, but the question is find the limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity.


The Attempt at a Solution




[tex]\frac{2x - \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}{1} * \frac{2x+ \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}{2x+ \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{4x^2 - 4x^2 + 5x - 300}{2x+ \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\frac{5x-300}{x}}{\frac{2x+ \sqrt{4x^2-5x+300}}{x}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5- \frac{300}{x}}{2 + \sqrt{ \frac{4x^2 - 5x + 300}{x^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5 + 0}{2 + \sqrt{ \frac{4x^2}{x^2} - \frac{5x}{x^2} + \frac{300}{x^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5}{2 + \sqrt{4 - 0 +0}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5}{4}[/tex]

yes, it's 5/4.. generally, the technique is to divide out by the term with the highest degree
 
Zhalfirin88 said:
I don't know how to do Latex for limits at infinity, but the question is find the limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity.

Hi Zhalfirin88! :smile:

It's \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} … [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}[/tex] :wink: