Check out this jacket, thumbs up or down?

• Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know, might look good on someone or might not. I'm undecided.I think it's a beautiful pattern, I love that kind of thing. Deer are fine too.In summary, this jacket is made from traditional Maya fabric and has beautiful patterns and colors. It is not something that is commonly seen, and has a story behind it. Some people may not like it, but others might find it creative and beautiful. Johnny Cash is the only person that ever looked good in black in my opinion.
kaleidoscope
I was impressed by this jacket, the patterns and colors. I don't know the brand, I just ran across the pictures. Do you have any idea what brand it might be?

In the mean time, tell me what you think about it, about its creativity, thumbs up or down?

front:
VWdK.png

back:
196k.png

UPDATE: OK this is what I have found so far: this is not an every day jacket, it is a traditional costume from the Maya people of Guatemala. The patterns are not printed, they are all handmade mayan weavings and include animals, plants, and geometric figures. It is full of the symbolism and color of their culture. Definitively not something we are used to (which might explain to some extent the negative/derogatory comments on this thread) and absolutely very creative. That is quite a story behind this piece of garment. For a moment I thought it was from a contemporary artist but this new story makes it even more interesting. Have you ever been to Guatemala and seen this type of clothing? What do you think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not fond of it, personally. But I bet there are people could wear it and make it look great. I know I'm not one of those people.

The print kinda looks like PacMan.

lisab said:
I'm not fond of it, personally. But I bet there are people could wear it and make it look great. I know I'm not one of those people.

The print kinda looks like PacMan.

Pac-man was my first impression too.

I would never wear it, but I'm not very 'stylish'. If you like it buy it, no body else's opinion really matters in personal preferences, imo.

Reminds me of clothing I've seen on Laplanders. Are those meese?

nothing like i'have ever seen, might look good, though. kinda different, actually.

If you are otherwise wrapped in scarves, mufflers, hooded in knit hats and heavy mittens, OK. You might get away with it. If not, pass.

I'm sorry, someone's got to say it, that is hideous. If you buy it, burn it :D

Perhaps for an entertainer. No so much for an insurance salesman.

I think it would look terrific on a mannequin in a museum's 1973 display. Otherwise, I think it would look best left on the store racks, or better yet, tossed in the dumpster.

That is one of the most awful pieces of clothing I have ever seen.

I can see Kanye West wearing this... its like either extreme high fashion or just really really bad... I guess it depends on what you wear it with.
Its certainly creative. I'd team it with crisp white shirt, black skinny trousers and giant sunglasses... and maybe red scarf...?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sorry, someone's got to say it, that is hideous. If you buy it, burn it :D

What Greg said.

It's possibly the most disgusting Jacket I have ever seen!

It might look ok on a scarecrow.

Good idea, after all scarecrow should be scary.

Not my cup of tea... Though, I'd like to see the inside of this jacket! :biggrin:

Johnny Cash is the only person that ever looked good in black.

I don't like the pattern, either.

None the less, I'll withhold final judgement until I see the tie and shirt that somehow goes with this jacket.

BobG said:
Johnny Cash is the only person that ever looked good in black.

No, Agent J did look OK too. Or at least he stated he looks better than Agent K.

Speaking of jackets, has anyone seen S. Dali's "Aphrodisiac Dinner Jacket" ?

Borek said:
No, Agent J did look OK too. Or at least he stated he looks better than Agent K.

There's a reason they wore black:

Zed said:
From now on you'll have no identifying marks of any kind. You'll not stand out in any way. Your entire image is crafted to leave no lasting memory with anyone you encounter. You're a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist; you were never even born. Anonymity is your name. Silence your native tongue. You're no longer part of the System. You're above the System. Over it. Beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Black.

Helios said:
Speaking of jackets, has anyone seen S. Dali's "Aphrodisiac Dinner Jacket" ?
I love Dali's work, I had not seen that.

Evo said:
Reminds me of clothing I've seen on Laplanders. Are those meese?

You were kind of close, I just found it is a traditional costume from Guatemala. No meese near the equator, so I bet those are deer. :)

kaleidoscope said:
You were kind of close, I just found it is a traditional costume from Guatemala. No meese near the equator, so I bet those are deer. :)
I think it's a beautiful pattern, I love that kind of thing. Deer are fine too.

I've read kaleidoscope's update about the jacket in the OP. I think it's a really interesting piece of clothing that could easily be worn by either sex.

Worn with an appropriate outfit, I think it could look really terrific on a guy. Said outfit being fairly dressy but on the casual side of dressy. I think it would take a really confident, together guy to pull it off.

But yeah, on the right person, super cool.

thumbs down/

I like it. I'd wear it. :biggrin:

As for Guatemalan clothing - http://www.littlemangoimports.com/huipiles.html

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
I'll withhold final judgement until I see the tie and shirt that somehow goes with this jacket.

I understand it's a casual jacket: white shirt and no tie.

kaleidoscope said:
I understand it's a casual jacket: white shirt and no tie.

Or even black shirt and dress pants, no tie. Khaki-coloured scheme, no tie. But definitely nice shirt and pants, plain, dress shoes, the jacket has all the style. As I said, right guy with some confidence, and it'd be stellar.

Where's Cyrus?

Just wear the jacket- ALONE! :biggrin:...:yuck:

Alone? Kinky.

Okay, with socks! :biggrin:

it needs a matching toque with earflaps

Proton Soup said:
it needs a matching toque with earflaps
oooh, yes.

http://www.shopsaskatchewan.com/Lintlaw/saskapaca/images/mitts-toques-scarves/Web_111__Medium_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
tusk_peru1.jpg

This is our Prime Minister with wife, during visit in Peru. Actually, I like him, But he looks funny on this picture.

I'd rock it once.

1. Is the jacket made of high-quality material?

The jacket is made of a durable and high-quality material that is designed to withstand various weather conditions.

2. Does the jacket have any special features?

Yes, the jacket has multiple pockets, adjustable cuffs, and a removable hood for added convenience and functionality.

3. Is the jacket true to size?

The jacket is designed to fit true to size, but we recommend checking the size chart for the most accurate fit.

4. Can the jacket be machine washed?

Yes, the jacket is machine washable. However, we recommend following the care instructions on the label for best results.

5. Is the jacket suitable for outdoor activities?

Yes, the jacket is designed for outdoor activities and is waterproof, windproof, and breathable to keep you comfortable during your adventures.