Chemicals that freeze at less than 60 Kelvin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Albertgauss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemicals Kelvin
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Messages
298
Reaction score
38
Does anyone know of a reference to a list of all known chemicals that freeze at less than 50 K? I know lots of organic molecules do, but I don't know which ones. I also can find the freezing points of all the elements pretty easy, but chemicals are proving more elusive.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
Does anyone know of a reference to a list of all known chemicals that freeze at less than 50 K? I know lots of organic molecules do, but I don't know which ones. I also can find the freezing points of all the elements pretty easy, but chemicals are proving more elusive.

Alfa Aesar just released a rather large amount of chemical melting point data the other year as part of an "open access" project. If you Google that, you should be able to find that information - as well as other related data sets that are part of this project.

My recollection is that you are probably best off not holding your breath. If you were looking for something around 100 K, you'd have better luck - silanes and certain conjugated organic chemicals can freeze around that point. Even methane freezes at around 90 K (as memory serves).

If you find anything interesting, though, please share! I'd sincerely love to see what you dig up.
 
CRC handbook of chemistry could be a good place to look