1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry: determing name of a compound.

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A compound only contains C, H and O. An elemental analysis of the compound gives the result C: 40.00%; H: 6.71%. The 13C NMR, IR spectrum and mass spectrums are in the graph below.

Graphs: http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t323/antiuniverse/graphs.gif

I need to determine the name of the compound.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not entirely sure. From the elemental analysis:

If we had 100g of compound, we'd have:
    40g C
    6.71g H
    53.29 O

Work out the moles:
    40g / 12 = 3.3333 moles of C
    6.71g / 1 = 6.7100 moles of H
    53.29g / 16 = 3.3306 moles of O

Divide by smallest ratio:
    2.8571 / 2.8571 = 1 atom of C
    6.7100 / 2.8571 = 2 atoms of H
    1.1652 / 2.8571 = 1 atom of O

So the empirical formula would be H2CO (or C2H4O2?). I think the mass spectrum is telling me that the empirical formula must be H2CO (which has a molecular weight/mass of 30).

From the 13C NMR spectra I believe it's either an aldehyde or ketone. I know that H2CO is formaldehyde (methanal) which is an aldehyde and correlates with what I found in the 13C NMR spectra.

Could anybody look over this and let me know if it's correct?
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2
    I think you're solid; the IR spectrum spike between 1750/cm denotes a C=O bond. The NMR spectrum implies that all hydrogens in the molecule produce the same signal, and must have the same environments (symmetrical on the molecule); this spike is also pretty far from the starting point which would mean that the hydrogens are attached to something close to oxygen (like a carbonyl carbon). I don't know how to read mass spec (for some reason my organic teacher never went over this). Your calculations look good, and CH2O seems like it's probably the answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?