Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chi-Squared Test on a table of Binomial Variates - Finding the expected frequencies

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Carry out a chi-squared test for the following table of frequencies of X ∼ Binomial(5,p) variates when (a) p = 0.3

x 0 1 2 3 4 5
    Observed 162 346 303 149 36 4
    frequency

Now I know how to carry out the chi-squared test once I have found the expected frequencies but the answers states that the frequencies are,

x 0 1 2 3 4 5
    Exp(p = 0.3) 168.1 360.2 308.7 132.3 28.4 2.4

What formula did they use to calculate these frequencies?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Re: Chi-Squared Test on a table of Binomial Variates - Finding the expected frequenci

Are you asking for why "expected frequency" is treated the same as "probability"? I haven't checked the table. Is it a table for the binomial probability distribution?

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    Re: Chi-Squared Test on a table of Binomial Variates - Finding the expected frequenci

Hi,

I'm asking how the figured out these expected frequencies..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook