Chirality for massive neutrinos - right neutrinos - Majorana

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
chym
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
My question concerns the chirality vs helicity for massive neutrinos.
I know that as the mass is really light we can usually approximate helicity = chirality.
But I would like to consider the exact case with the mass :
i.e left handed (chirality )neutrino propagates with both left and right helicity (if boost).
So it means that right (helicity) neutrinos exist in a "beam" of left chiral neutrinos...
If neutrinos are Majorana, these neutrinos with right helicity could interact exactly as right anti-neutrino are doing... So why this has not been already observed ? I know double beta decay is searched for that, but in more simple processes... like inverse beta decay ?
thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrino masses are really really tiny. The processes you mention, where you can observe the Majorana nature, are suppressed by the chirality flip so roughly ##(m_\nu/E)^2## where ##E## is a relevant energy scale, usually of order weak scale. This makes such processes exceedingly rare.