Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chirality for massive neutrinos - right neutrinos - Majorana

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    My question concerns the chirality vs helicity for massive neutrinos.
    I know that as the mass is really light we can usually approximate helicity = chirality.
    But I would like to consider the exact case with the mass :
    i.e left handed (chirality )neutrino propagates with both left and right helicity (if boost).
    So it means that right (helicity) neutrinos exist in a "beam" of left chiral neutrinos....
    If neutrinos are Majorana, these neutrinos with right helicity could interact exactly as right anti-neutrino are doing... So why this has not been already observed ? I know double beta decay is searched for that, but in more simple processes.... like inverse beta decay ?
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Neutrino masses are really really tiny. The processes you mention, where you can observe the Majorana nature, are suppressed by the chirality flip so roughly ##(m_\nu/E)^2## where ##E## is a relevant energy scale, usually of order weak scale. This makes such processes exceedingly rare.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook