Chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol?).

In summary, people have been making reaction videos on Youtube by combining chlorine and alcohol in a bottle. The reason for this reaction is that hypochlorite oxidizes alcohol, producing carboxylic acid and chlorine gas. This reaction occurs because chlorine gains an electron, causing it to oxidize something. The original question was about the presence of chlorine, not hypochlorite, but it is possible that the videos were referring to household bleach. However, it is more likely that they were using calcium hypochlorite tablets or granules, which are more concentrated and reactive than household bleach. This reaction is autocatalytic and produces heat and gaseous products, like chlorine. The mechanism and products of this reaction can be further explored
APeterson
I recently saw a few videos on Youtube of people making a reaction by putting chlorine and alcohol together in a bottle. For the life of me I can't figure out why that reaction would work, and I wondered if anybody could give me an equation. Thanks.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that hypochlorite oxidizes alcohol yielding carboxylic acid and chlorine gas.

qalomel said:
I'm guessing that hypochlorite oxidizes alcohol yielding carboxylic acid and chlorine gas.

If there is chlorine in products there was no oxidation.

Chlorine had an oxidation state of +1 before the reaction. Afterwards, it is 0. Chlorine gains an electron in the reaction and thus it oxidizes something.

Original question called for the presence of chlorine, not hypochlorite.

I was guessing that the original question (and the Youtube videos) referred to chlorine as household bleach.

And it is quite possible you were right, I was just nitpicking :tongue2:

Hmm. Thanks guys. I don't know if it was bleach or not, but I'm pretty confident it wasn't plain old Cl2. ;)

I believe it was calcium hypochlorite tablets or granules. Pretty concentrated hypochlorite. Household bleach is only about 5-6% hypochlorite in solution. The tablets are something like 70% active chlorine so they are a lot more reactive than bleach when heated. The heat is the thing that releases the chlorine rapidly. Once the reaction starts, the tablets heat up, decompose, produce lots of heat and gaseous products (like chlorine). It's autocatalytic with respect to heat and the decomposition product, chlorine, is quite reactive with hot isopropanol.

Edit: If you are interested in the mechanism or products produced, review "Haloform Reaction". Great Google term.

Last edited:

What is the difference between chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol)?

Chlorine, commonly found in bleach, is a chemical element that is highly reactive and has strong oxidizing properties. It is often used as a disinfectant and bleaching agent. On the other hand, alcohol, specifically ethanol, is a type of organic compound that is commonly found in alcoholic beverages. It has antiseptic properties and is often used as a solvent.

Can chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol) be used together?

Yes, chlorine and alcohol can be used together. In fact, many household cleaning products contain a combination of these two chemicals. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and never mix these chemicals with other substances, as it can produce harmful and even toxic fumes.

What are the risks of using chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol) together?

Using chlorine and alcohol together can potentially produce toxic fumes and can also lead to chemical reactions that can release harmful gases. In addition, mixing these chemicals can reduce their effectiveness in disinfecting and cleaning surfaces. It is always recommended to use these chemicals separately and according to their intended purpose.

Can chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol) be used as hand sanitizers?

No, chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol) should not be used as hand sanitizers. While both of these chemicals have disinfectant properties, they are not safe for skin contact and can cause irritation and dryness. Hand sanitizers should contain at least 60% alcohol in order to effectively kill germs and bacteria.

What happens when chlorine (bleach) and alcohol (ethanol) mix?

When chlorine and alcohol are mixed, they can produce a chemical reaction that can release toxic fumes such as chloroform and hydrochloric acid. This can be harmful to human health and can cause respiratory irritation and other health problems. It is important to always use these chemicals separately and according to their intended purpose.