Chloroform/metanol 1:1 turns cloudy when it is prepared

• Thread starter Laura_SN
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is trying to prepare a mixture of Chloroform and Methanol in a 1:1 and 1:2 ratio but the mixture always turns cloudy. They have tried using different flasks and bottles but the issue persists. Both solvents are 99% pure and were just opened at the time of mixing. They suspect that one of the solvents may contain impurities that are not soluble in the mixture, potentially causing an emulsion. However, there is some confusion about whether this issue has occurred before or not. The speaker is seeking help with this issue.
Laura_SN
Hi! I need to prepare Chloroform/methanol 1:1 and 1:2 and when I mix both solvents, it acquires a milky aspect. I have repeated the process several times in different flasks and bottles in the case it was due to wáter remaining or dirty stuff, but it always becomes cloudy when they are mixed. It has never happened to me previously. Could somebody help me! I am sorry but I am not good in Chemistry.. :(

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Perhaps one of the solvents contains impurities that are not soluble in the mixture?

Both are 99% pure solvents from bottles just opened in that moment. That´s the reason why I am so concerned about.

might be low solubility, and you're making an emulsion?

Last edited:
Hm, I read her "It has never happened to me previously." as "I did in the past and it worked", but perhaps that's not what Laura meant.

1. What causes chloroform/metanol 1:1 to turn cloudy when it is prepared?

The cloudiness in chloroform/metanol 1:1 is caused by the formation of small droplets of water in the solution. This can happen due to the hygroscopic nature of methanol, which means it easily absorbs moisture from the air.

2. Is the cloudiness in chloroform/metanol 1:1 harmful?

No, the cloudiness in chloroform/metanol 1:1 is not harmful. It is simply a visual effect and does not affect the chemical properties of the solution.

3. How can I prevent chloroform/metanol 1:1 from turning cloudy?

To prevent chloroform/metanol 1:1 from turning cloudy, make sure to store the solution in a tightly sealed container and in a dry environment. You can also add a drying agent, such as molecular sieves, to the solution to absorb any excess moisture.

4. Can I still use the cloudy chloroform/metanol 1:1 solution?

Yes, you can still use the cloudy chloroform/metanol 1:1 solution. However, keep in mind that the presence of water droplets may affect the accuracy of your experiments or measurements.

5. How do I get rid of the cloudiness in chloroform/metanol 1:1?

To get rid of the cloudiness in chloroform/metanol 1:1, you can try filtering the solution through a filter paper or using a separatory funnel to separate the layers. Another option is to distill the solution to remove any excess water.