Choose each of the following statements that would be true regarding the brain

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CMATT
Messages
31
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Choose each of the following statements that would be true regarding the brain or special senses.
There could be multiple answers.

a) Properly using the captive bolt should result in pupils that constrict in response to a bright light
b) The part of the brain that releases Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone (GnRH) sits in a pocket within the sphenoid bone called the sella tursica
c) The blind spot is caused most directly by the fovea centralis
d) Special senses that detect only chemicals include taste, smell and vision
e) It is possible to interpret certain senses as coming from other senses, such as hearing colors or smelling sounds. This phenomenon is called synesthesia.

The Attempt at a Solution



I chose answers B, and E so far.
Answer B is talking about the hypothalamus.
Answer E is also true because that is what synesthesia means.

I did not choose answer C because the blind spot is not most directly caused by the fovea centralis.
I did not choose answer D because vision does not detect chemicals.

I am not sure about answer A
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, D is definitely incorrect. As for A, I would think that it is correct. Pupils "shrink" in response to a bright light and "expand" in response to dim light. I'm not sure what a captive bolt is, though. I looked it up, but all I could find were things about this kind of pistol.
 
I would say E is definitely a correct answer, as people with synesthesia might hear a note F as the colour blue, which is exactly what the option describes.
As for the other answers:

A) Wrong, I have never heard of a captive bolt, I'd assume that it's wrong because upon a google search I found the same as the guy above me.
B) Wrong, the hypothalamus produces GnRH, while the pituitary sits in the sella tursica.
C) Wrong, the blind spot is caused by where the optic nerve recedes into the brain from the eyeball, there are no photoreceptors in this place because it's taken up by the optic nerve.
D) Wrong, vision doesn't detect chemicals