Choose the element in each of the sets you would expect to have the highest IE2

In summary, the element in each set with the highest IE2 is K. This is because after the first ionization, K attains the electron configuration of the nearest noble gas, Argon, making it highly stable. In comparison, the other elements (Be, Mg, Ca, and Al) have an outer shell electron configuration of ns1 after the first ionization, making it easier for them to ionize and achieve stability. Therefore, their IE2 would be lower than that of K.
CMATT

Homework Statement

Choose the element in each of the sets you would expect to have the highest IE2.

a. K
b. Be
c. Mg
d. Ca
e. Al

Homework Equations

The correct answer is K

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand why it is K ...I kind of guessed by using my Ionization Energy diagram that shows the trend on the periodic table as:

--------> IE increases across a period/row
|
|
|
IE decreases down a group

Can someone please explain why K is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about number of valence electrons in elements? How does it depend on the the element position in the periodic table? Why do the valence electrons are valence electrons?

That's a general trend.But there are exceptions. Besides you have to compare IE2.So this can't be used.
After 1st Ionisation K attains the EC of nearest noble gas i.e. Argon which means it is highly stable.So IE2 of K is highest.
On the other hand if you see Be,Mg,Ca then the outer shell EC of these elements after 1st ionisation is ns1.So they can easily ionise to gain stability.

CMATT said:

Homework Statement

Choose the element in each of the sets you would expect to have the highest IE2.

a. K
b. Be
c. Mg
d. Ca
e. Al

Homework Equations

The correct answer is K

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand why it is K ...I kind of guessed by using my Ionization Energy diagram that shows the trend on the periodic table as:

--------> IE increases across a period/row
|
|
|
IE decreases down a group

Can someone please explain why K is correct?

1. What is IE2?

IE2 stands for second ionization energy. It is the energy required to remove the second electron from an atom or ion.

2. Why is IE2 important?

IE2 is important because it helps determine the stability and reactivity of an element. Elements with high IE2 values are less likely to form ions, making them more stable. This also means they are less reactive and less likely to form compounds with other elements.

3. What factors affect IE2?

The main factor that affects IE2 is the number of protons in the nucleus of the atom. The more protons an atom has, the stronger its attraction for electrons and the higher its IE2 value. Other factors that can affect IE2 include the size of the atom and the electron configuration.

4. Which elements would you expect to have the highest IE2 values?

Elements with a high number of protons, such as those in the halogen group (Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine, Iodine, and Astatine), are expected to have the highest IE2 values. This is because these elements have a strong attraction for electrons due to their high nuclear charge.

5. How does IE2 compare to IE1?

IE2 is typically higher than IE1 because it is more difficult to remove a second electron from an atom that has already lost one. This is because the remaining electrons are held more tightly by the positively charged nucleus. However, there are some exceptions where IE1 and IE2 are similar, such as in the case of elements in the alkali metal group (Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, and Cesium).