Choosing a graduate advisor/project

• Thread starter cytochrome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graduate
In summary: My summary of the conversation is that it is important to learn how to research and to be aware of the risks of specializing in your field.
cytochrome
I am at the point where I have to make a decision for which lab I will join in graduate school very quickly. The thing that scares me, however, is becoming too "specialized" in my decision to be qualified to do research in anything else. Is this the case for graduate school? Once I'm a postdoc researcher, will I be able to explore other labs?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got my Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, specializing in noise and vibration, with my research on vibration of automotive belt drives. I didn't do a postdoc, so I can't say if your research topic would restrict the postdoc excessively.
But I will say that every topic you'd do research on, that can be finished in a reasonable time, will be narrow. There just aren't many "general" topics that haven't been thoroughly treated. In industry, it seems pretty common to move to other topics than in your dissertation. Learning how to research is just as important as the research itself.

That makes sense.

I'm also going for the PhD in mechanical engineering. I will be working on multiscale modeling in solid mechanics. I was wondering if I decided to do a postdoc in some other sort of material science related subject if I would be under qualified or too specialized. But you're right, learning how to research is the main importance.

Likes Randy Beikmann
This says it all:
i-4679f7e2e6995c0a63c87a0ffb9dc42f-PI.type.comic.jpg

Likes Randy Beikmann
Have you talked with grad students from the various labs for their views on the issues you might have? Our have some of your classmates already done this and have this information for you. Check it out.

Likes Randy Beikmann
What gleem says is gold. Interview potential advisors, and other grad students. Just remember when you get opinions that not all students have the same wants, so you might like a certain advisor better (or not) than someone else does.

1. How do I choose a graduate advisor?

When choosing a graduate advisor, it is important to consider their area of expertise, their current research projects, and their communication style. It is also helpful to talk to current or former students under their supervision to get a sense of their mentoring style and overall satisfaction with their experience.

2. Should I choose a specific research project or an advisor first?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and the structure of your graduate program. Some programs may require you to choose a specific research project before selecting an advisor, while others allow you to choose an advisor first and then work with them to develop a research project. It is important to consider both the research project and advisor when making your decision.

3. What should I look for in a graduate project?

When choosing a graduate project, it is important to consider your interests and career goals, as well as the potential impact and relevance of the project. You should also consider the resources and support available for the project, such as funding, equipment, and collaboration opportunities.

4. How many advisors should I consider before making a decision?

It is generally recommended to consider at least 3-4 potential advisors before making a decision. This allows you to compare and contrast different options and make an informed decision. However, you may also find the perfect fit with your first or second choice, so it ultimately depends on your individual circumstances.

5. What if I am not satisfied with my chosen advisor or project?

If you find yourself unsatisfied with your chosen advisor or project, it is important to address your concerns and communicate with them. You can also seek guidance from other faculty members or your program director for advice and potential solutions. If necessary, you may also have the option to switch advisors or research projects within your program.