Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chopsticks to China = coal to Newcastle?

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    How can China and Japan not have enough wood? Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants on Earth.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Wow! Hard to see how a US company can achieve that kind of market penetration.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4

Evo

I guess they prefer hardwood chopsticks. Go figure.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot of restaurants I know are using plastic chopsticks. They're reusable.

7. Dec 6, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

It's tough to see how real premium hardwoods like rock maple could get into the chopstick market, unless it's a status thing (conspicuous consumption). As Greg said, bamboo grows SO fast that it's a no-brainer for disposable utensils.

8. Dec 6, 2011 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It that's correct, it's about one tree per year per 50 people. That's a lot of trees.

9. Dec 6, 2011 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm thinking maybe I should get into the business with Maclura pomifera, commonly called Osage-orange....

il_570xN.151441685.jpg

And if not chopsticks, then these:

OsageOrange%20RTBB%2012%20inch%207%20link%20-%20web.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Dec 6, 2011 #9

rhody

Gold Member

Does that mean they reuse them ? Amazing things can happen when you find an itch that no one has scratched before, eh...

Rhody...

11. Dec 6, 2011 #10

Evo

Is the reason for the disposable chopsticks all of the independent street food vendor stalls? We use disposable cutlery here. But why wouldn't bamboo be an option?

Edit: weird, bamboo chopsticks are too costly.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/15/opinion/la-oe-0815-gardner-chopsticks-20100815

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  12. Dec 6, 2011 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've used bamboo chopsticks. They're crap! They tend to warp, which makes them difficult to use (as if eating with sticks wasn't hard enough already). Even worse, they can splinter. Ouch, lips are a bad place to get a sliver!

Btw...bamboo is in the grass family.

13. Dec 6, 2011 #12
    What a massive waste of resources. Chop down trees to make chopsticks and then use tons of energy to manufacture and ship them half way across the world. Just use reusable chopsticks . It's not that hard for restaurants to wash them either. I don't want to even think how much oil using reusable chopsticks would save per year.

Probably as bad as water in plastic bottles.

14. Dec 7, 2011 #13
    if you've got a lot of osage, then you might consider selling bowstaves. few woods are more valued for that besides yew. strong, flexible, and highly resistant to decay.

the fruits are a natural insecticide, too.

15. Dec 7, 2011 #14

turbo

Gold Member

I have tons of white maple on this property. Not tough enough for flooring, not pretty enough for furniture (usually), but nice enough to make hard non-splintery chopsticks. Should I start a chopstick factory?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook