1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chosing College For Particle Physics And Cosmology

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    I am an aspiring physicist. My main interests are Particle Physics, Cosmology and Black hole physics. I am going to join a college this year for the same. I applied to two colleges and got selected. University of Lancaster and University of Birmingham. I have applied for the course - Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology.
    http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/student.../physics/physics-particle-cosmology-msci.aspx
    http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/underg...rticle-physics-and-cosmology-mphys-hons-f373/

So which one is better? Which one should i choose? And why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2
    Both look like very good courses, it may come down to Birmingham vs. Lancaster as places to live for four years! Do you want to live in a big, noisy, ugly*, multicultural, city or a small, quiet, beautiful, rather insular, town. What are your spare-time interests? If climbing, walking, or quietism are your obsessions, then obviously Lancaster. If classical music, football, or clubbing, then Birmingham...

* some parts are quite nice, including Edgbaston, the Birmingham campus area :)

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3
    Thankx dude.
    But both are not same. The cosmology group in lancaster is purely theoretical. And in birmingam i dont quite see a cosmology group. Its there but nothing good about it. And birmingham focusses on experimental particle physics more than theoretical. While lancaster provides a balance between both. But lancaster is not involved in as many experiments as birmingham is. Also as you said birmingham is a better coty(i like noise and football and stuff). So its killing me. How to decide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook