Circuits, what am I doing wrong

• Thread starter kliker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the problem asks for the maximum power consumption of the given circuit, with each resistor having a maximum power of 24W. Using the equations P=I^2*R and V=I*R, the total resistance and total currency of the circuit are calculated to be 9/2 and +/- 4, respectively. However, the book's solution of 36W is obtained by assuming that the resistor on the right consumes the maximum power of 24W and then calculating the currency and total power consumption accordingly.
kliker

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9067/39943009.png

given this circuit if each of the resistors may consume maximum power = 24 W without overheating, find the maximum power that the circuit can consume

Homework Equations

P = I*V
V=I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

ok the first two are in parallel, so i found the resistance of both, which is 3/2, then we have two resistors in series and I found the total resistance which is 3/2 + 3 = 9/2

before doing this i found the I(total)

which is P = I*V => 24 = I^2*3 => I = +/- 4

having the I total and the total resistance I said

P = I^2*R = 16*9/2 = 72 W

but the book says 36, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are wrong with your first statement. You said that the max. power consumption of a SINGLE resistor is 24W, but calculated a power consumption of a whole circuit.

My idea is as it follows:
1. P=I^2*R. Obviously the currency flowing through the resistor on the right will be the, khem, biggest (dunno what's the proper word in english :P). You should assume that it is 24W. It allows you to calculate the currency, and then everything else. Checked, gives 36W.

E: Due to the rules of the board I've deleted the exact solution :).

Last edited:
thanks irycio I understand it now

1. Why is my circuit not working?

There could be several reasons why your circuit is not working. Some common issues include incorrect wiring, faulty components, insufficient power supply, or a short circuit. Double check your connections and components to make sure everything is in the right place and functioning properly.

2. How do I know if a component is faulty?

If your circuit is not working, it's possible that one of your components is not functioning correctly. You can test this by using a multimeter to check for continuity or resistance in the component. If the readings are not within the expected range, the component may be faulty and need to be replaced.

3. Can I use any power supply for my circuit?

No, it's important to use the correct power supply for your circuit. Using a power supply with the wrong voltage or current can damage your components or cause your circuit to not function properly. Always check the specifications of your components and choose a power supply that meets those requirements.

4. Why is my LED not lighting up?

If your LED is not lighting up, it could be due to a few reasons. Make sure the LED is connected in the correct orientation (positive to positive and negative to negative). Also, check if the LED requires a specific voltage or resistor to function properly. If all else fails, the LED itself may be faulty and need to be replaced.

5. How can I troubleshoot my circuit?

To troubleshoot your circuit, start by checking all connections and components to make sure they are in the correct place and functioning properly. Next, use a multimeter to test for continuity and resistance in each component. If everything seems to be in order, try replacing one component at a time to see if that solves the issue. If all else fails, it's possible that there is a short circuit somewhere in your circuit, which may require more advanced troubleshooting techniques.