Circular Linear guide solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a system that requires circular motion with a 65° angle and a 8.5cm radius. The person mentions the use of linear guides with a curved track, but is unable to find a suitable size for their project. They ask for suggestions on incorporating sliding mechanisms or bearing balls/wheels. The specifications for the system are not clearly defined and it may require a custom solution. Possible sources for ideas are suggested, including websites such as www.hepcomotion.com and www.bwc.com. The person also provides a sketch and pseudo CAD renderings for further explanation.
I am working on a system that uses circular motion of 65° of a circle with 8,5cm radius.

Thing is, What first comes to mind are Linear guides with a curved/circular track and I've found some examples such as;
http://ind-techno.com.ua/en/cat/20/556/78030/ [Broken]
http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedP...Circular_Linear_Motion_Guide_Type_HCR/98366/0
and
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-Quality-And-Precision-Circular-Linear_1974273476.html?s=p

But it's way too big, the sliding part is supposed to be as small as possible, tiny actually. The diameter of the rail itself can't be more than 6mm. And the "slider" or what you call it can't be much larger. It can't be too wide.

And yes there are a ton of miniature linear guides out there, and there are existing Circular Linear guides, but I have yet to find BOTH of these merged into one.

It was my thought that perhaps a linear guide like that is not the solution? should I try to add my own sliding mechanisms or try to incorporate bearing balls or wheels to hold up the sliding part?

If anybody knows some solutions or terms generally used for this it'd be helpful, I purely self taught in these matters hence the ignorance on mechanical systems design.
Also if anybody doesn't get what I have in mind I can try to elaborate further,

thanks in advance

-Jarfi.

EDIT: for unknown reasons alibexpress seems to not allow linking products

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Suggest that you define your specifications better, you'll get better answers. Direct & moment loads, lifetime, speeds, etc., are all required to effectively size & select bearing components. Provide a sketch of your desired path: linear/curved/2D/3D? Based on your limited information, you may be required to fabricate a custom solution. Look into www.hepcomotion.com or www.bwc.com for some interesting solutions & possible ideas.

tygerdawg said:
Suggest that you define your specifications better, you'll get better answers. Direct & moment loads, lifetime, speeds, etc., are all required to effectively size & select bearing components. Provide a sketch of your desired path: linear/curved/2D/3D? Based on your limited information, you may be required to fabricate a custom solution. Look into www.hepcomotion.com or www.bwc.com for some interesting solutions & possible ideas.

I will check these sites out for products. I am almost certain It needs to be custom designed with either bearing balls or guide wheels, problem is getting it simple and cheap and easy to design.

It is a 60° version of this: http://www.tpa-us.com/images/bsc-series-products.jpg but I think I will cut holes in the rail to make it lighter. I also have pseudo CAD renderings that I made for this thread to further explain what it is.

The path is curved like in the link above, it is simply a miniature version of it. The lifetime is as much as possible, speeds are low but the movement is constant for up to hours, similar wear as in a 3d printer guide rail

Again these pictures are just for concept work, the surface will have mounting holes in it, and this system(dimensions) can be modified to some extent for an easier solution.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

1. What is a circular linear guide solution?

A circular linear guide solution is a type of bearing system that is used to support and guide linear motion in a circular path. It typically consists of a rail or track and a carriage or slider that moves along the rail. This type of guide is commonly used in applications where there is a need for precise and smooth circular motion, such as in CNC machines, robotics, and packaging equipment.

2. How does a circular linear guide solution work?

A circular linear guide solution works by using a combination of rolling and sliding elements to guide the motion of the carriage along the rail. The rail typically has a circular profile with a groove or raceway that the rolling elements, such as balls or rollers, travel along. The carriage has a matching profile and is fitted with sliding elements, such as bearings or bushings, that allow it to move smoothly along the rail.

3. What are the advantages of using a circular linear guide solution?

There are several advantages to using a circular linear guide solution. These include high load capacity, high precision, and smooth and quiet operation. They also have low friction, which reduces wear and tear and increases the lifespan of the system. Additionally, circular linear guides can be compact and lightweight, making them ideal for applications where space is limited.

4. What are the different types of circular linear guide solutions?

There are several types of circular linear guide solutions, including round rail guides, profile rail guides, and cam roller guides. Round rail guides use a circular rail and a carriage with a matching profile, while profile rail guides use a more complex profile and typically have higher load capacity. Cam roller guides use a cam-shaped rail and rollers to guide the motion of the carriage.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a circular linear guide solution?

When selecting a circular linear guide solution, some important factors to consider include the load capacity, precision, and speed requirements of the application. Other considerations may include the environment in which the guide will be used, such as temperature and contamination, as well as the available space and budget. It is also important to ensure that the guide is compatible with the other components of the system and can provide the necessary support and guidance for the desired motion.

Suggested for: Circular Linear guide solutions

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies