Can Tension in Circular Motion Be Equal for Both Ropes?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between tensions and centripetal force in a system with two masses connected by ropes. The individual is trying to determine if the tensions in the ropes are equal based on the formula for centripetal force. Another person suggests calculating the velocities for both masses in order to determine the relationship between them. It is concluded that both masses are not moving with the same centripetal force.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-12_17-3-28.png

Homework Equations

F = mv^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that T1max = T2max because when i plugged into my formula for centripetal force, i get that both ropes end up with mv^2/R which means they are equal everywhere... Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-12_17-3-28.png
    upload_2017-11-12_17-3-28.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 684
Physics news on Phys.org
If the tensions were equal there would be no net force on mass 1 and it would be in rectilinear motion.

Lori said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 214906

Homework Equations

F = mv^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that T1max = T2max because when i plugged into my formula for centripetal force, i get that both ropes end up with mv^2/R which means they are equal everywhere... Is this correct?
You have to calculate velocities for both masses as time period is same you can get relation between velocities. Here both masses is not moving with same centripetal force

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a changing direction.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object in circular motion. It is always directed perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

3. How is tension related to circular motion?

Tension is a type of force that arises when a string, rope, or cable is pulled taut. In circular motion, tension is responsible for providing the centripetal force that keeps the object moving along the circular path.

4. What factors affect the tension in a string during circular motion?

The tension in a string during circular motion is affected by the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the object. As these factors change, the tension in the string will also change.

5. How is tension different from other types of forces?

Tension is a pulling force that acts along a string or cable, while other forces like gravity and friction act on the surface of an object. Additionally, tension is always directed towards the center of the circular path, while other forces can act in any direction.