1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion/gravitational force implied

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've thought about a problem that I invented but couldn't solve it. So I'd like a very little help, something that can push me in the good direction but not the full answer.
    Suppose we have a system that is composed of a planet and a body. The body is at an height h from the center of the planet (of course h is greater than r). Initially the body is at rest. What is the impulse we have to apply on this body in order to make it move in such a way so that it describes a circular path around the planet? Give the answer in terms of m (the mass of the body), R (distance between the center of the planet and the body), M the mass of the planet and so on. With the impulse, I can then calculate the velocity it must have to accomplish this task.
    Thank you!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried a few things, but I'm at a loss.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    If you are looking for velocity you can easily get it if you have M (big mass) and the h

to do that make Fc=Fg and isolate v :)

4. Oct 24, 2008 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks a bunch Epsillon!! I had been stuck for a few days and I just can't believe I missed such a simple answer. I thought it would have been much more complicated. I didn't realize that I could get rid of the centripetal acceleration by considering that it's equal to the velocity squared over r.
    So finally I found that the velocity is worth [tex]\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}[/tex].

5. Oct 24, 2008 #4
    You got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?