1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion. Uniform and accelerating. (Bridge)

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bridge takes 2 minutes to open up fully from 0 to 80 degrees. The first 20 degrees it is accelerating, and the last 60 degrees it is traveling with even velocity.

I will have to find acceleration for the first 20 degrees and angular velocity for the last 60 degrees.

http://peecee.dk/upload/view/357409 Illustration.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried setting up three equations with three unknowns:

http://peecee.dk/upload/view/357410

I have tried isolating a in the first two equations, and then put 1=2. Then isolating ω in this new equation, and replacing this with the ω in the third equation. Then i isolate t, and get 48 second. This gives the correct answer to the acelleration, but i don't know why. Can you help?

Is there other way to do it maybe?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi EVriderDK! :smile:

That looks ok … you eliminated α, then you solved for t, that is the way to do it.
    I don't understand. If it solves the equations, isn't that enough justification? :confused:

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    Why is it correct to use these three equations. I didn't come up with them my self.
    I was just told that this i s the correct way to do it, but i lack the understanding.

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah!!! :rolleyes:

ok, first, are you familiar with the standard constant acceleration equations for ordinary (linear) motion?

6. Mar 20, 2012 #5
    Yes i'm familiar with all the formulas, i just cannot see, how the person who put them together, knew, that this was the way to do it.

7. Mar 20, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if a is constant …

then dv/dt = a, so ∆v = at

d2x/dt2 = a, so ∆x = vot + 1/2 at2

a = dv/dt = dv/dx dx/dt = vdv/dx = 1/2 d(v2)/dx, so ∆(v2) = 2as :wink:

8. Mar 20, 2012 #7
    But how did he know, that I had to use these three equations, in that order etc. ?

9. Mar 20, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Mar 20, 2012 #9
    Argh! :D

Let me rephrase.

How to find out how many equations you are going to work with, and what these equations have to contain?

11. Mar 20, 2012 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it's always obvious which one to use …

it's the one that has the variables you're given, and the variable you want

one has s u a and t

one has u v a and s

one has u v a and t​

12. Mar 20, 2012 #11
    So because i don't have ω in the first equation, i have to have an equation with ω in it? Because the third equation needs this ω ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook