Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification regarding the proper use of constant C.

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    Please forgive the rather simple nature of my question. I am rather confused about it. I have just started a class on differential equations and I am confused on the proper use of the constant C after integrating. There are occasions in which I end up with something like
    y = et + c. If this is the same as etec, then is ec essentially the same as c? Can anyone enlighten me as to the proper use of c in similar situations such as e6t + 6c, etc.?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2
    c is usually a variable you find so that your solution satisfies given initial conditions. Typically c is in front of the exponent. Ie c1 exp^2t.

4. Sep 25, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that c is an arbitrary constant. There are often different ways to write the "same" constant value.

As a simple example, if you integrate [itex]\int 2x\, dx[/itex], it doesn't really matter if you write the answer is [itex]x^2 + c[/itex] or [itex]x^2 + c + 1[/itex] or [itex]x^2 - c[/itex], or whatever. The expressions give different values for a particular value of c (for example c = 0) but the complete set of expressions for every possible value of c is the same in each case.

But in that example, there isn't any obvious reason to write anything apart from [itex]x^2 + c[/itex], so that is what you will find in a textbook as "the answer".

In your example, the same idea applies, but the alternative ways to write the answer look "more different" than the previous example.

If [itex]y = e^{t+c}[/itex] then you are right that [itex]y = e^t e^c[/itex]. You would normally let [itex]e^c = a[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex] is another constant, and write [itex] y = ae^t[/itex] rather than [itex]y = e^t e^c[/itex].

If this was part of a bigger problem, sometimes [itex]y = e^{t+c}[/itex] is easier to work with, and sometimes [itex] y = ae^t[/itex]. You have to get used to the fact that in math, there are often different ways of writing "the same thing".

5. Sep 25, 2011 #4
    Thank you so much. Great explanation. It answered my question.

6. Sep 25, 2011 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Sometimes a particular form of the constant will cause one to gain or lose solutions.
    if
    y1=C exp(t)
    y2=exp(t-a)
    -exp(t) may of may or not be a solution y1 tends to make us think of it as one while y2 may make us forget about it (if working wiht real numbers).
    if
    y1=(x+B)/(-x+B)
    we might forget to consider y=1 as a possible solution while some other form may remind us of that possiblity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook