Clarification regarding the proper use of constant C.

• Thread starter smithnya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the constant c is used to determine whether a particular solution to a differential equation is the same as a particular solution to a different equation that has the same initial conditions.
smithnya
Please forgive the rather simple nature of my question. I am rather confused about it. I have just started a class on differential equations and I am confused on the proper use of the constant C after integrating. There are occasions in which I end up with something like
y = et + c. If this is the same as etec, then is ec essentially the same as c? Can anyone enlighten me as to the proper use of c in similar situations such as e6t + 6c, etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
c is usually a variable you find so that your solution satisfies given initial conditions. Typically c is in front of the exponent. Ie c1 exp^2t.

Remember that c is an arbitrary constant. There are often different ways to write the "same" constant value.

As a simple example, if you integrate [itex]\int 2x\, dx[/itex], it doesn't really matter if you write the answer is [itex]x^2 + c[/itex] or [itex]x^2 + c + 1[/itex] or [itex]x^2 - c[/itex], or whatever. The expressions give different values for a particular value of c (for example c = 0) but the complete set of expressions for every possible value of c is the same in each case.

But in that example, there isn't any obvious reason to write anything apart from [itex]x^2 + c[/itex], so that is what you will find in a textbook as "the answer".

In your example, the same idea applies, but the alternative ways to write the answer look "more different" than the previous example.

If [itex]y = e^{t+c}[/itex] then you are right that [itex]y = e^t e^c[/itex]. You would normally let [itex]e^c = a[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex] is another constant, and write [itex] y = ae^t[/itex] rather than [itex]y = e^t e^c[/itex].

If this was part of a bigger problem, sometimes [itex]y = e^{t+c}[/itex] is easier to work with, and sometimes [itex] y = ae^t[/itex]. You have to get used to the fact that in math, there are often different ways of writing "the same thing".

Thank you so much. Great explanation. It answered my question.

Sometimes a particular form of the constant will cause one to gain or lose solutions.
if
y1=C exp(t)
y2=exp(t-a)
-exp(t) may of may or not be a solution y1 tends to make us think of it as one while y2 may make us forget about it (if working wiht real numbers).
if
y1=(x+B)/(-x+B)
we might forget to consider y=1 as a possible solution while some other form may remind us of that possiblity.

1. What is the purpose of constant C in scientific equations?

Constant C is a placeholder value used in equations to represent a fixed value or quantity that does not change. It allows for easier manipulation and comparison of equations without having to use specific numerical values.

2. How do I determine the value of constant C in an equation?

The value of constant C is dependent on the specific equation being used and the units of measurement being used. It is typically given in the problem or can be calculated using other known values in the equation.

3. Can I change the value of constant C in an equation?

No, constant C is a fixed value and should not be changed in an equation. Doing so would alter the relationship between the variables and could lead to incorrect results.

4. Are there different values for constant C in different scientific fields?

Yes, constant C can have different values in different fields of science, as it is dependent on the specific equations being used and the units of measurement. It is important to use the correct value for constant C for the specific field and equation being used.

5. Is there a standard notation for constant C in equations?

No, there is no standard notation for constant C in equations. It can be represented by any letter or symbol, as long as it is clearly defined and used consistently throughout the equation and problem.