Math Classes to Prepare for Calc 1: What Should I Take?

In summary, if you are not familiar with elementary functions, you should probably take Precalc before moving on to calculus.
buckWILD
Hey guys, I'm about to go to college this fall. For my degree, the first math class is Calc 1. I know I'm not ready for it so what classes should I take in the summer? I didn't take a math class my senior year in high school (I didn't take Pre-Calc). So I know I need to catch up. I have 3 sessions in the summer I can take, so what math classes should I take? I don't have PreCal as an option.

My choices are College Agebra, Trig, and Elementary functions. Should I take all 3? Or are some pointless? Any advice would help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take them all.
If you have to skip one of them, skip Elementary functions, unless your algebra skills are very good.

I don't know if I would agree with skipping Elemtary Functions. Merely for the fact that I have done what you are talking about doing and I skipped that class. Now I know very very simple trig and very very complex trig but not the stuff in between. However it depends on what that class does cover because the EF class I skipped covered all the stuff I missed.

What was the last math class you took? The best thing to do is to pick up where you last left off in math. You may need to retake the last class you took. Where did you leave off?

~Kitty

I would agree that elementary functions is probably the least necessary. College algebra and trig are truly a blessing (especially in cal 2). Elementary functions is important, but not so difficult as to prevent you from learning it on the fly. It all depends on your comfort though, because every class at this level will pretty much leak into another. So as long as youre doing something math related, youre bound to pick up what's necessary if youre alert. Good luck!

That I think is better advice than just skip it if you have to. I can agree with that. Although I think I may go back and take it before I jump straight into calc to make sure I have a very strong base. I already have one since I'm in calculus now as a senior in high school, but I just want to make sure. I'll probably take it with some other freshman credits.

~Kitty

For me, Precalc pretty much covered everything that I needed for Calculus 1. Although if your algebra isn't already strong, Precalc may kind of skip over the "foundations".

-Brian

Pre-calc should do that, but my class was dumb. Cover everything I mean.

~Kitty

1. What classes should I take before Calc 1?

The recommended classes to take before Calc 1 are Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, and Trigonometry. These classes will provide you with a strong foundation in basic algebraic concepts and functions, which are necessary for understanding calculus.

2. Can I take Calc 1 without taking any math classes beforehand?

It is not recommended to take Calc 1 without any prior math classes. A solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry is crucial for success in calculus. If you have not taken these classes before, it is best to start with pre-calculus before moving on to Calc 1.

3. Do I need to take any science classes before Calc 1?

No, science classes are not a prerequisite for Calc 1. However, some scientific concepts may be used in calculus, so it can be helpful to have a basic understanding of science. It is more important to have a strong math background for success in calculus.

4. Is it recommended to take any other classes alongside Calc 1?

It is recommended to focus on Calc 1 as it is a demanding course. However, some students may benefit from taking a statistics or physics class alongside Calc 1, as these subjects are closely related to calculus and can help reinforce concepts.

5. What if I struggle with the classes recommended before Calc 1?

If you struggled with the recommended classes before Calc 1, it is important to seek help and review those concepts before starting calculus. You can also speak with your advisor about taking a pre-calculus or algebra refresher course to strengthen your understanding before taking Calc 1.