Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Climate scientist found to be accepting undisclosed payment

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/u...-climate-change-researcher-Wei-Hock-Soon.html

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2
    Shameful, but not surprising. The fossil-fuel industry is little better than the tobacco industry.

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

And his opponents are accused of fraud. Example http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...gate-star-michael-mann-courts-legal-disaster/

It's shameful on both sides, although the article states
    It will be interesting to see if the only wrong he's done is not fully disclose where his money came from, or if he too doctored data.

But this is getting into the politics, which we don't want to get into.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  5. Feb 21, 2015 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It will be hard for him to make that case since:

6. Feb 21, 2015 #5

Evo

Calling them "deliverables" doesn't make them wrong, does it? So far, the only thing being frowned upon is not fully disclosing all income.

7. Feb 21, 2015 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It's the context:

"The documents show that Dr. Soon, in correspondence with his corporate funders, described many of his scientific papers as “deliverables” that he completed in exchange for their money."

But deliverable is a synonym for product, which isn't how I think of scientific literature, personally.

8. Feb 21, 2015 #7

Evo

Still doesn't make them factually wrong, although I don't believe that man is not effecting the environment, just to be clear. But I don't see in the article anything that shows what the works were specifically about. Let's wait and see what the works were and how accurate they are, before we start insinuating anything. Right now, he's only under scrutiny for not disclosing income.

9. Feb 21, 2015 #8
    I read that some oil companies fund alternative energy startup companies. Example: Chevron Energy Solutions
    If I was an oil company I'd want multiple views on the topic, and I'd try to position myself financially to take advantage.
    There might be other reasons for funding other than getting biased literature into the science publications.

10. Feb 21, 2015 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

That's a completely separate issue and has already been addressed in the scientific literature by consensus, but we can't talk about that. We're just talking about the bad ethical choices of Dr. Soon.

11. Feb 21, 2015 #10

Evo

He's accused of not disclosing income as opposed to committing fraud by falsifying data like his opponents have been accused of. He will be dealt with if he has broken rules on financial disclosure.

Our rules are to only discuss the science and not the politics, so this thread is closed since it's not about the science, but is being twisted to insinuate things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook