Closing a PF Account: Other Ways Besides Banning

• Thread starter Fancypen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of closing a PF account and the reasons why accounts are not deleted on the forum. It is mentioned that the only way to close an account is to stop posting, as deleting an account would also delete all the posts made under that account. The moderators also explain that keeping a record of all posts is important for the value and integrity of the forum, and to prevent cheating on classwork. However, the request to have this information included in the INFO section is suggested.
Fancypen
Is there a way to close a PF account other than getting yourself banned?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fancypen said:
Is there a way to close a PF account other than getting yourself banned?
You can just stop posting.

Evo said:
You can just stop posting.

True, but I like to clean up loose ends if I could. It's the OCD part of me that wants it closed.

Oh, I just read:

Deleting Accounts:

Please do not ask us to delete your account. If you no longer want to participate in PF, simply stop posting. If you need to be restrained from posting here, we can ban you, but this will not remove your posts or your profile.

What is the reason why accounts aren't deleted?

Fancypen said:
Do you have something you want to hide?

berkeman said:
Do you have something you want to hide?

I could ask the same thing about this site. Other forums delete your info with no issues, but this one goes out of the way to keep your info. I was just curious as to why.

Fancypen said:
I could ask the same thing about this site. Other forums delete your info with no issues, but this one goes out of the way to keep your info. I was just curious as to why.
Nonsense. There is lots of very good information here that people refer to all the time. Some find it via Google, in other cases we point new users to old threads that cover what they are asking about. If we were in the habit of deleting prior content, that would hurt the value of that system.

What folks post here is public information, unless it violates the rules, in which case it is usually deleted promptly.

" If we were in the habit of deleting prior content, that would hurt the value of that system."

That's all you had to say instead of being rude.

Fancypen said:
We can't delete an account while preserving the posts made under that account, and deleting the posts is unfair to the volunteers who have replied as well to future visitors who would have benefited from the replies.

We also get a steady drizzle of people trying to cheat on their classwork by asking for help here and then wanting to cover their tracks by having their account deleted. We can't always be sure when that's going on, so by never deleting stuff we ensure that there is always a record of what help was handed out here and to whom.

Nugatory said:
We can't delete an account while preserving the posts made under that account, and deleting the posts is unfair to the volunteers who have replied as well to future visitors who would have benefited from the replies.

We also get a steady drizzle of people trying to cheat on their classwork by asking for help here and then wanting to cover their tracks by having their account deleted. We can't always be sure when that's going on, so by never deleting stuff we ensure that there is always a record of what help was handed out here and to whom.

This would be great to have in the INFO section somewhere, you know?

The OP has left the building and this thread has been cleaned up a bit.

1. What are some alternative ways to close a PF account?

Besides banning, there are a few other ways to close a PF account, such as withdrawal, transfer, and merging.

2. How do I withdraw my PF balance?

To withdraw your PF balance, you can submit a withdrawal claim form along with relevant documents to your employer or the EPF office. The amount will be transferred to your bank account within a few days.

3. Can I transfer my PF balance to another account?

Yes, you can transfer your PF balance to another account by submitting a transfer claim form to your employer or EPF office. This process is known as a "transfer claim" and helps you avoid withdrawing your balance.

4. What is merging of PF accounts?

Merging of PF accounts refers to the process of combining multiple PF accounts into one. This can be done if you have more than one PF account due to changing jobs frequently. Merging helps in easier management of your PF balance and avoids any confusion.

5. Is there a time limit for closing a PF account?

There is no specific time limit for closing a PF account. However, it is recommended to withdraw or transfer your PF balance as soon as possible to avoid any delay or complications. Additionally, if your PF account remains inactive for a continuous period of 3 years, it will stop earning interest.