Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CNN parts company with their crackpot, Lou Dobbs

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this is great for CNN. Dobbs was not a respectable journalist.
    http://www.ajc.com/business/grand-exit-for-cnns-197683.html?cxtype=rss_news_128746 [Broken]

Like so many pseudo-journalists on TV these days, Dobbs and his show were loaded with bias. Just check any poll of his to see how ridiculous his questions had become. If someone disagreed with Dobbs, they were lucky if they were allowed to make their points. Over the years he became so abusive and biased that he finally lost me completely. In the beginning, Dobb's show was all about economics. By the end, his show was more a circus act than news.

Good riddance! Perhaps he will find a new home at Fox.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please let me know if I have gone over the following before(Senility Now!)

Lou Dobbs

ou Do's

Hou Don's

Hugh Downs

I've never seen, to my recollection, Lou Dobbs on TV.
    Though that is not difficult, as I've only watched about 3 hours worth in the last 2 months.

Anyways, before anyone gets even more confused as to what I'm talking about, I keep picturing Hugh in my my mind every time someone mentions Lou.

pf_dobb_downs.jpg

Ok. I guess that is the whole point of my post. Old people all look alike.

Oh wait. This also kind of reminds me of the decline of journalism thread:

Hence. I no longer watch TV to get my news.

I get my news from PF.com!

And yes, I do remember saying that before.......

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3

Monocerotis

Gold Member

Do your own research from a large sum of multiple sources if you want approach some level of unbiased news.

If you think now because CNN and Lou Dobbs are no longer affiliated with each other, that CNN is now unbiased, I've got some bad news for you.

5. Nov 15, 2009 #4
    Should I verify this and cross reference it. I'm so confused!!

6. Nov 15, 2009 #5
    Lou Dobbs was a racist. I'm glad he's gone.

7. Nov 15, 2009 #6
    It's worse, he has other ambitions:

http://www.loudobbsforpresident.org/" [Broken]

8. Nov 15, 2009 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Actually, I've been getting my breaking, unbiased news from Al-Jazeera.

That was, up until yesterday, when I was browsing through their "most emailed article's", and most of them struck me as biased.

I'm afraid PF.com is my only source now. :frown:

So will someone please PM me when they announce that Anna Nicole is still dead.

Please.

9. Nov 15, 2009 #8

Monocerotis

Gold Member

Trying way too hard.

10. Nov 16, 2009 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Xenophobic is probably a more accurate description than racist. At the extreme edges, the difference between the two can be a little blurry, but there is a difference.

Hopefully, his wife would disagree with the racist description, as well, since that would probably be a pretty big impediment to marital bliss. To be fair (in spite of the fact that I disagree with him), he attacks illegal immigration and mainly illegal immigration over the Mexican-American border.

The latter certainly appears somewhat racist, since he doesn't pay much attention to the main source of illegal immigration - those that come here legally, but overstay their visa. Then again, those that initially come here legally are also more likely to have (or get) a college education and more likely to wind up a middle class taxpayer than those sneaking across the border looking for menial labor. He is perfectly willing to use overall illegal immigration statistics instead of just citing how many immigrants sneak over the Mexican-American border - a shady tactic that implies a much worse border problem than actually exists - but those promoting a path to legalization use the same stats to imply the problem is so big that a legal path to citizenship is the only option. (Illegal immigration just isn't a big enough problem to warrant headlines).

None the less, he's sloppy in his reporting. He fails to vet his sources if they support his point. His claim of illegal immigrants bringing leprosy to the US has to be some of the worst reporting ever on a major news network. His best reporting was done in the 90's and only his reputation has allowed him to hang on the last few years.

11. Nov 16, 2009 #10
    I liked watching him go after ACORN.

12. Nov 16, 2009 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Like a dog chasing a car? My dog is very interested in vehicles, and I am training him that they are NOT to be chased, but avoided. No, Lou! No!

13. Nov 16, 2009 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Never mind. I was listening to the radio this morning and apparently Farah Fawcett is the latest dead celebrity news fad.

I'll have to go to You-Tube to find some Dobbs.

The last Dobbs I remember was Dr. Dobbs Journal.

14. Nov 16, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Genaralissimo Fransisco Franco is still dead. Anna Nichole has not been dead as long as the Generalissimo, but she is arguably at least as dead, so his temporal advantage is negated.

15. Nov 17, 2009 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thank you for the update Turbo. And I see that all is not lost with the disappearance of Dobbs. CNN is still holding on to some of their fine journalists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalissimo_Francisco_Franco_is_still_dead" [Broken] because I trust wiki about as far as I can throw it)

16. Nov 17, 2009 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Was Cafferty's quote a blunder or frustrated sarcasm at spending the entire broadcasting day giving updates on the death of a washed up Playboy model?

17. Nov 17, 2009 #16
    how was he racist? he only spoke out against illegal immigration, not immigration and not only hispanic immigration and plus he is married to a mexican person who is just as upset as dobbs is about illegal immigration.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  18. Nov 20, 2009 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  19. Nov 24, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

According to Politico, Dobbs is considering a run at the White House in 2012. Eek!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20091124/pl_politico/29861;_ylt=AtblgbOTPRkQ1jFA42IegZGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNmYzA0OTVnBGFzc2V0A3BvbGl0aWNvLzIwMDkxMTI0LzI5ODYxBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDNARwb3MDMQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2Zvcm1lcmNubmhvcw-- [Broken]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook