Coefficient of trinomial expansion

In summary, we discussed different methods to find the coefficient of a specific term in a trinomial expansion. These include using the binomial theorem, completing the square, and considering how to obtain the term from multiplying out the brackets. We also discovered that for the term $x^{39}$, there is only one case that generates it, and thus its coefficient is simply the number of brackets, which is 20. Lastly, we found that the coefficient of $x^4$ is 8855, which can be obtained using the method of completing the square.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi,
I want to find the coefficient of $\displaystyle x^4 $ and $\displaystyle x^{39} $ of $\displaystyle (1+x+x^2)^{20} $

I use the binomial theorem twice and come out with the following argument:
$\displaystyle (1+x+2x^2)^{20}= [(1+x)+(2x^2)]^{20}$

I see that
$\displaystyle T(r+1)={20 \choose r} (1+x)^{20-r}(2x^2)^r $

$\displaystyle T(r+1)={20 \choose r} .2^r. x^{2r}.(1+x)^{20-r} $

$\displaystyle T(r+1)={20 \choose r} .2^r. x^{2r}.{20-r \choose k} (1)^{20-r-k}. (x)^{k}$

$\displaystyle T(r+1)={20 \choose r} {20-r \choose k} .2^r. x^{2r+k}$

Now, I notice that $\displaystyle 20-r \ge k$, and, of course, $\displaystyle 0\le r,k \le 20 $.

To obtain the coefficient of x^4, we need 2r+k=4
If k=0, r=2. (Case 1)...this gives the coefficient of 760.
If k=1, then r is not an integer.
If k=2, r=1 (Case 2)...this gives the coefficient of 6840.
If k=4, r=0 (Case 3)...this gives the coefficient of 4845.

Hence, the coefficient of x^4 is (760+6840+4845=12445).

And I do the same for x^39. It turns out that there is only one case to generate the term x^39, i.e. when k=1, r=19. Thus the coefficient of x^39 is 20(2^19).

All this is only common sense and it certainly is not an elegant method to find for coefficient of any specific term. I wish to ask if there exists a general formula to find the coefficient of trinomial expansion of the type (a+bx+cx^2)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Three words: completing the square.

anemone said:
All this is only common sense and it certainly is not an elegant method to find for coefficient of any specific term. I wish to ask if there exists a general formula to find the coefficient of trinomial expansion of the type (a+bx+cx^2)?

Thanks.
Let $h = -\frac{b}{2a}$ and $j = c-\frac{b^2}{4a}$, then $ax^2+bx+c = a(x-h)^2+j$. We have:$$\begin{aligned} \displaystyle (ax^2+bx+c)^n & = j^n \left(\frac{a}{j}(x-h)^2+1\right)^n \\& = j^n \sum_{0 \le k \le n}\binom{n}{k} \frac{a^k}{j^k} (x-h)^{2k} \\& = \sum_{0 \le k \le n}\binom{n}{k} a^k j^{n-k} h^{2k} (1-\frac{1}{h}~x)^{2k} \\& = \sum_{0 \le k \le n}~ \sum_{0 \le r \le 2k}\binom{n}{k}\binom{2k}{r}a^k j^{n-k}h^{2k-r}(-1)^rx^r.\end{aligned}$$

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

For example, using the same technique we find the trinomial:

$\displaystyle (1+x+x^2)^n = \sum_{0 \le k \le n}~~\sum_{0 \le r \le 2k}\binom{n}{k}\binom{2k}{r} 4^{k-n}3^{n-k}2^{r-2k}x^r$

So the coefficient of $x^r$ is $\displaystyle \sum_{0 \le k \le n}\binom{n}{k}\binom{2k}{r} 4^{k-n}3^{n-k}2^{r-2k}.$

Last edited:
Thanks, Sherlock. That works beautifully!But in your example below, if I want to determine the coefficient of x^8, what would the k value be?
(P.S. I'm sorry for being so dumb to ask for this one but I really have no idea...(Sadface)...)

$\displaystyle (1+x+x^2)^{20} = \sum_{0 \le k \le 20}~~\sum_{0 \le r \le 2k}\binom{20}{k}\binom{2k}{r} 4^{k-20}3^{20-k}2^{r-2k}x^r$

So the coefficient of $x^8$ is $\displaystyle \sum_{0 \le k \le 20}\binom{20}{k}\binom{2k}{r} 4^{k-20}3^{20-k}2^{8-2k}.$

anemone said:
Hi,
I want to find the coefficient of $\displaystyle x^4 $ and $\displaystyle x^{39} $ of $\displaystyle (1+x+x^2)^{20} $
[snip..]

And I do the same for x^39. It turns out that there is only one case to generate the term x^39, i.e. when k=1, r=19. Thus the coefficient of x^39 is 20(2^19).

I'm not sure what you intend for the coefficient of \(x^{39}\) here, but it is obviously \(20\).

Also with a bit of ingenuity one can work out the coefficient of \(x^4\) by considering how to get \(x^4\) from multiplying out the \(20\) brackets containing \( (1+x+x^2) \)

CB

Last edited:
anemone said:
Hi,
For the coefficient of $x^4 $, you could write $1+x+x^2 = \dfrac{1-x^3}{1-x}$. Then $$(1+x+x^2)^{20} = (1-x^3)^{20}(1-x)^{-20} = \bigl(1-20x^3+\ldots)\bigr)\bigl(1+20x+210x^2+1540x^3+7084x^4+\ldots\bigr),$$ from which you can pick out the coefficient of $x^4$ as $7084-400 = 6684.$

opalg said:
for the coefficient of $x^4 $, you could write $1+x+x^2 = \dfrac{1-x^3}{1-x}$. Then $$(1+x+x^2)^{20} = (1-x^3)^{20}(1-x)^{-20} = \bigl(1-20x^3+\ldots)\bigr)\bigl(1+20x+210x^2+1540x^3+7084x^4+\ldots\bigr),$$ from which you can pick out the coefficient of $x^4$ as $7084-400 = 6684.$

cb

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
I'm not sure what you intend for the coefficient of \(x^{39}\) here, but it is obviously \(20\).

Hmm...sometimes, the word 'obviously' in the context of math is intimidating.:cool:
But now that I can see and yes, it's quite obvious because $x^{39}$ is the second last term from the expansion and its coefficient should be $ \displaystyle {20\choose19} $

CaptainBlack said:
Also with a bit of ingenuity one can work out the coefficient of \(x^4\) by considering how to get \(x^4\) from multiplying out the \(20\) brackets containing \( (1+x+x^2) \)

OK.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Opalg said:
For the coefficient of $x^4 $, you could write $1+x+x^2 = \dfrac{1-x^3}{1-x}$. Then $$(1+x+x^2)^{20} = (1-x^3)^{20}(1-x)^{-20} = \bigl(1-20x^3+\ldots)\bigr)\bigl(1+20x+210x^2+1540x^3+7084x^4+\ldots\bigr),$$ from which you can pick out the coefficient of $x^4$ as $7084-400 = 6684.$

Thanks, Opalg!
You have given me a great idea and I really appreciate that.
By the way, I noticed that the coefficient of $x^4$ should be ${23\choose 4}=8855$, :).

anemone said:
Hmm...sometimes, the word 'obviously' in the context of math is intimidating.:cool:
But now that I can see and yes, it's quite obvious because $x^{39}$ is the second last term from the expansion and its coefficient should be $ \displaystyle {20\choose19} $
OK.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Thanks, Opalg!
You have given me a great idea and I really appreciate that.
By the way, I noticed that the coefficient of $x^4$ should be ${23\choose 4}=8855$, :).

Typo? 8455

CB

CaptainBlack said:
Typo? 8455

CB

Ah! Typo! It should be 8855-400=8455.

anemone said:
Ah! Typo! It should be 8855-400=8455.
Yes, I'm not sure how I got 7084 instead of 8855. That comes from trying to do arithmetic on paper instead of reaching for a calculator.

Opalg said:
Yes, I'm not sure how I got 7084 instead of 8855. That comes from trying to do arithmetic on paper instead of reaching for a calculator.

After having done the calculation by hand, I reached for something far more powerful than a calculator to check (expand (1+x+x^2)^20 in maxima or in Wolfram Alpha - at least once you get past the offer of a free trial of Alpha-pro).

CB

1. What is the coefficient of a trinomial expansion?

The coefficient of a trinomial expansion is the numerical value that appears in front of the variables when a trinomial (an expression with three terms) is expanded. It is also known as the "multiplicative factor" or "numerical factor".

2. How is the coefficient of a trinomial expansion calculated?

The coefficient of a trinomial expansion can be calculated using the binomial coefficient formula, which involves using the combinatorial notation "n choose k". The formula is:

(n choose k) = n! / (k!(n-k)!)

Where n is the number of terms in the trinomial and k is the term number (starting from 0).

3. What is the significance of the coefficient in a trinomial expansion?

The coefficient in a trinomial expansion is significant because it represents the number of ways a particular term can be obtained through the expansion. It also helps in simplifying and solving trinomial expressions.

4. How does the coefficient change when a trinomial is expanded to a higher power?

The coefficient of a trinomial expansion changes according to the power of the trinomial. For example, when a trinomial is expanded to the power of 2, the coefficient will be the square of the original coefficient. Similarly, when expanded to the power of 3, the coefficient will be the cube of the original coefficient, and so on.

5. Can the coefficient of a trinomial expansion ever be negative?

Yes, the coefficient of a trinomial expansion can be negative. This usually happens when there is a negative term in the original trinomial expression. However, it is important to note that the binomial coefficient formula always results in a positive value, so the negative coefficient may be represented as -1 multiplied by the positive coefficient.