Coin sliding off a rotating turntable at 36 rpm

  • Thread starter Thread starter mattx118
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Turntable
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 12K views
mattx118
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
A coin is placed 10.0 cm from the axis of a rotating turntable of variable speed. When the speed of the turntable is slowly increased, the coin remains fixed on the turntable until a rate of 36 rpm is reached, at which point the coin slides off. What is the coefficient of static friction between the coin and the turntable?

I know that MueK, is going to be Fs / Fn, but I'm having trouble getting those, if anyone can give me a clue into start this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to find the centripetal force [tex]Fc=(4 pi^2 r m)/T^2[/tex]
Then use Fc=μmg to solve for μ
 
i came up with the formula, Mue = v^2 / (g*r), i am getting .15 as the answer, however it is saying it is wrong.
 
mattx118 said:
i came up with the formula, Mue = v^2 / (g*r), i am getting .15 as the answer, however it is saying it is wrong.

Hmm, I got something slightly different. Perhaps you should check your rounding, or use a more precise value for [tex]g[/tex]?
 
r=0.1m
g=9.8m/s^2
v=0.377m/s

so it's about .116
 
that answer is also wrong, i have no idea what is wrong I'm almost sure i have done it correctly
 
Well then haha, it was .145 I got it right, maybe it was looking for a special amount of sig figs. I was rounding it off.