Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Colliding With Death at 37,000 Feet, and Living - NYTimes

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

This is amazing!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/business/03road.html

The Brazilian (GOL) airliner which crashed in the Amazon jungle with 155 people hit a private jet at 37,000 ft. The airliner went down quickly, the small private jet landed safely at a military airport hidden deep in the Amazon jungle.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Oct 3, 2006 #3

Astronuc

:surprised Crikey! That's bloody impressive!

I think the rear stabilizer has a lot to do with the stability, and the one wing (with both stabilizers) at twice the speed provided sufficient lift. Nevertheless, amazing. It was quick thinking by the pilot to engage the afterburners.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Oct 3, 2006 #4
    Too bad the other airplane crashed and killed everyone, but such is life sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  6. Oct 3, 2006 #5

berkeman

Did they determine the cause of the collision yet? I imagine that out above the Amazon there isn't much in the way of air traffic control -- all VFR? But they still should have been at different altitudes if they were cruising in different directions.....

7. Oct 3, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple of hours ago, I read an unconfirmed report that the small plane was flying at the wrong altitude, but now I can't find the report.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #7

russ_watters

The rear stabilizers on military jets can move independently to control roll.

9. Oct 3, 2006 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found the Associated Press report.

If true, the pilot/instruments of the small plane is responsible for the deaths of 155 people.

10. Oct 3, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Oct 3, 2006 #10
    Crashing from that high up must be awful, because you have so much time before you get back down to earth from 37,000ft.

If you crash on landing or takeoff, its 1,2,3...dead. Not as bad.

It wouldnt be so bad if you were in the pilots seat, becasue at least you would feel like you tried to save yourself.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  12. Oct 3, 2006 #11

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The title of this thread reminded me of that poor bird:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=51479

the bird didn't survive though.

13. Oct 4, 2006 #12
    Heh. :biggrin:
    The F-15 is renowned for the blows it can take. The F-16, on the other hand, has its center of mass in front of its center of lift, and is literally flown by a computer, meaning that any serious change in the plane's characteristics will immediately lead to an uncontrollable downward spin.
    I really like all those stories of B-17 Flying Fortresses returning with no tail etc.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?